Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Blue Jean circle quilt >

Blue Jean circle quilt

Blue Jean circle quilt

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by CarolLady
omak -- I used a plastic gal ice cream lid around 8" in diameter. I think the site where I got my idea from used a 6" diameter circle. I wanted bigger squares in the middle so chose the bigger size plus that way I didn't have to make a 6" template. The squares on mine are a little shy of being 6". I hope this helps. I would suggest to make sure you cut on the line you draw around your template, save you from having to go back and trim them up later. Good luck!!
The smaller circles might be easier to work with but since mine was around 6' x 6' just worked better for me.
Thank you - - that is exactly what I wanted to know. The size and what you found good or what you might change. It might help to be using jean fabric that has been used, versus using new denim, eh?
I remember one show that said if you are using new denim, wash and dry it at least three times before trying to put it into a quilt or project - -for shrinkage, of course, but also to loosen up the weave in order to make the denim more manageable, I am guessing.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Very cool! I have tons of my DH jeans and need to make something, maybe for the "kids" Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 AM

That is very cool....... i love the pattern made my the red.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Carol,
This is beautiful!!
Ditter
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM

WOW! What a beautiful quilt! You did such an awesome job! It looks heavy-is it?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 AM

omak - I did use all jeans in this quilt. The other 3 quilts I made did have some store bought jean material in them that I had purchased a long time ago. I needed some contrast color so I used it in them. Another thing omak - I used over 4 -350 yds rolls of thread just in the zig zag stitching. That didn't include sewing the 4 circles together to make my blocks. (36 blocks of 4) And I drew the squares in the circles after I had cut them out. During making the quilt those lines did not always line up so don't get frustrated with it just sew them together "close" to the lines as you can, making sure the circles line up more so than the lines (that will never be seen) You might have better luck than me with that part but I way over thought it. lol
Wine Woman - Yes it is very heavy. I tried to use it on my bed one night and could hardly move around, it was heavy. It is also kind of stiff from the zig zag stitches around all the circles. But I am still very proud of it :)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Very cool!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Hey, it's a heart.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM

I have a bunch of old jeans and shirts saved up and planned to make something similar, but I thought I would leave the edges raggy. You mentioned figuring out a better way to sew them together. Can you explain? Thanks!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 PM

`Lucky I will try to explain. I sewed my circles in "blocks" with 4 circles in each block. I added the flannel, then ironed down the "flaps" I found that I could sew the inside flaps down and stitch around them all without starting and stopping just sewing continuous. That would probably be better explained with a picture :( once the 4 circles were made into blocks I sewed the straight seam to connect them, then fold down the flaps and ironed then do the zig zag stitch as I joined the rows. when joining rows sew your straight seam iron your flaps down put the row you are adding to the inside of the machine and zig zag down the length of the connected rows. (Here is where I was making it harder on myself I'd turn the quilt around and try to shove the big part through the little opening) *Easier way is to go back to the top and start zig zagging down the other side of your flaps so one time you will start sewing on the left hand side of your joined rows and the next time you will start sewing on the right hand side of the rows. I hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I will give it another try to get it right.
I am not sure how you would make it with the raggedy edges - maybe sew further in on the flaps so they fringe?