Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This Is Bugging Me! >

This Is Bugging Me!

This Is Bugging Me!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM

I've just ripped out the outside match and sewed it onto the other end of the quilt. My strips went the full width of the quilt though. I agree that you gotta move one or the other.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM

I did a strip quilt for our great granddaughter and I have several that lined up together. I just left it but have seen that maybe I will do some extra quilting there to make it not look so bad. I had all pink in spot and all green in another. This is my first quilt.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee
Or, you could just rip out that one seam where the 2 are together, turn the smaller part around, and restitch
This is what I was thinking. If you haven't sewn on a border, only one seam (separating the two red strips) would be taken out and re-sewn once the piece if flipped. If you do, re-post a photo so we can see!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM

I think I'd just rip that seam between the two and turn the pieces around and sew it up otherwise those two strips would bug me!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Don't you hate that when it happens? I do.. and I'm with you, it would bother me. Every time I looked at the quilt, that's what I'd see. dang!

When I have something like that happen, I remind myself that ripping is part of sewing.. and while I hate to take something apart, I'm always so glad I did when it's back together..

It doesn't take that long to take it out and you'll be much happier with it fixed.. I alway figure that no matter how long it take to remove the problem, it's still a much shorter time than having to look at it the rest of my life or it's life!

Wish I were close, I'd be happy to take it out for you.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM

If it were my quilt, I would have already ripped and re-sewn. My eye went immediately to the two reds.

Otherwise, it is pretty.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! :thumbup:

As soon as my caffeine kicks in (I'm a night owl - just woke up), I'll be talking to Mr. Seam Ripper. I've been quilting for years, but I'm not that experienced with applique, so I'll just flip or replace that part of the quilt. Shouldn't take long. :)

Thanks again! :D
Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Its turning out really nice though!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Don't forget to post a pic of the new layout! Good luck with it. (Tell Mr Ripper I said hi and I'll see him soon)
Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

My motto is: If it bothers you-change it. That is how I teach beginning quilters. They will leave things that I could never leave, but it isn't my quilt.

I am just fascinated by what bothers each of us. I made a pink and white quilt top like this yesterday afternoon. I have white strips beside each other and I didn't change it. Two colors side by side doesn't bother me, but a seam that doesn't meet will drive me crazy until I change it. Or a mistake in the pattern will drive me crazy until I change it, and many people leave them. There is a quilt hanging in a shop here that has a mistake. My eyes go to it every time and most people walk by and don't notice it. I have been known to take it(my quilt tops) off of the longarm frame and fix a mistake just because I have to.