Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cake and Ice Cream >

Cake and Ice Cream

Cake and Ice Cream

Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM

My sister gave me my first jelly roll for Christmas this past year. So I thought I would send it back to her for her birthday! LOL This is my first full quilt and I used Kimberley's QAYG method, from the QB. (Thank you Kimberly :))

I had planned to do a rail fence - thought it would be quick and easy and use up this jelly roll that the colors just do not appeal to me. While laying it out on the floor after sewing and cutting all the strips my husband walked in and said "No No No Lets see how it would look this way..." and proceeded to undo what I had laid out and came up with this patterns... Liked it, so did it. ( the layout makes the pink look like a tiered birthday cake ) . Went to Joanns for the backing fabric and we matched the lightest pink and lightest yellow and the brown (the back reminds me of neopolitan icecream.)

So get on you galloping horse and ride fast..... :)

Thanks for all the hints, tips, tutorials - I have been searching the board every step of the way to figure out how to do this.. THANK YOU!!!! Lots of errors but will just keep getting better with practice.

Measurements after washing are 51 x 76. These pictures were taken before washing and drying. Happy to say the color catchers WORKED and NO seams came undone. YAY!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231996[/ATTACH]

backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231998[/ATTACH]

Close up of hand quilting in body of quilt. Machine quilted borders.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231999[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231990.jpe   attachment-231991.jpe   attachment-231992.jpe   attachment-231993.jpe  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Google Goddess

great job
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM

I really like the lay out of the strips............the back is
beautiful too.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wendy R
My sister gave me my first jelly roll for Christmas this past year. So I thought I would send it back to her for her birthday! LOL This is my first full quilt and I used Kimberley's QAYG method, from the QB. (Thank you Kimberly :))

I had planned to do a rail fence - thought it would be quick and easy and use up this jelly roll that the colors just do not appeal to me. While laying it out on the floor after sewing and cutting all the strips my husband walked in and said "No No No Lets see how it would look this way..." and proceeded to undo what I had laid out and came up with this patterns... Liked it, so did it. ( the layout makes the pink look like a tiered birthday cake ) . Went to Joanns for the backing fabric and we matched the lightest pink and lightest yellow and the brown (the back reminds me of neopolitan icecream.)

So get on you galloping horse and ride fast..... :)

Thanks for all the hints, tips, tutorials - I have been searching the board every step of the way to figure out how to do this.. THANK YOU!!!! Lots of errors but will just keep getting better with practice.
How beautiful! Your sis will love it! Isn't it great when hubby gets involved? It does indeed look like cake. Great job - both of you.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

that is cool! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Beautiful!!! Love those colors.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Great job! Your sister will love it!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM

Your husband may have a future as a quilt designer!!! I really like how this turned out - it's actually a reversible quilt and lovely on both sides. Your hand quilting looks really good to me.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Wow I like how the strips were laid out....great job...great design from your hubby...he's a keeper
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
Your husband may have a future as a quilt designer!!! I really like how this turned out - it's actually a reversible quilt and lovely on both sides. Your hand quilting looks really good to me.
LOL His Mom was a seamstress for over 60 years, making clothes and accessories. She made lots of wedding dresses and bridesmaids dresses. Guess he picked up his sense of color and layout from her.

Have a quilt in mind for them for Christmas - it's 3rd on my list of to do's.

Thanks for all the warm compliments!!! You all are great! :)