Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The CapriSun Purse I made today >

The CapriSun Purse I made today

The CapriSun Purse I made today

Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 PM

This isn't my idea. I had seen it online and thought oh wow! So, after having the caprisun packages for over a year, lol, I finally made a bag today.

bag
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7677[/ATTACH]

Caprisun bag
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7915[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7677.jpe   attachment-7915.jpe  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 PM

Cute bag Heather! I saw a website where some women in one of the "third world" countries make totes & purses, etc. out of similar things, then sell them. How was it to stitch them together? Any problems? Looks like you did a great job :D
Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Thats one of a kind. i bet it will get a lot of attention. good job :D :D
Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM

That is SOOO CUTE! I have seen those before but, never made one. It would be so cute for a teen....I have 2 of those!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM

That is just such a cool way to recycle!! I've gotta get the girls busy drinking some Capri Sun now. Is it lined with anything?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Really cute! I've seen those before. What a "green" purse! Al Gore would be proud! LOL!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM

lol. No, it isn't lined with anything, I just wanted to try it. During softball season, we're usually out on the field for hours so I always bring a bag full of drinks for the girls. When I made it, I stayed simple b/c I was planning on that being the use. I left the two top caprisun packs open on each side to use as a pocket. I can post the directions if you guys like. I used invisible thread to sew it, which worked great. I hadn't used that thread before. The only irritating part was the bottom but it wasn't that bad.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 PM

Here are the directions, not that you guys couldn't figure it out. It's really simple. These directions are from the site I got them from a year or two ago, and I didn't save the website, just copied and pasted it into a word document.

Basic Sewing Instructions

You will need:
7 - 10 juice pouches (or more for a bigger purse)
Thread

You may purchase straps such as ribbon (gross grain) or anything else that catches your fancy that can be made into straps!
To Prepare Your Pouches:
Cut out the bottom of the pouch without separating the front of the pouch from the back. This is to facilitate washing the pouches throughly so they don't make a mess when you start to sew! Wash throughly with soap and water and machine dry on low setting for about 20 minutes - it takes too long to dry naturally!
We are making a small purse so we will only use 2 pouches across the front and 2 pouches across the back. If you want your purse bigger, you can use more pouches and adjust the pattern accordingly.
For the front of your purse, overlap 2 of the pouches putting them side by side. Do a zig zag stitch down the middle with the front of the pouches up (the top needle make a cleaner pattern than the bobbin side).
Do the same as above for the back of your purse.
For the bottom of your koolaid purse, overlap 2 pouches from top to bottom and zigzag stitch.
For the sides, use 1 pouch for each side.
Attach the front and back panel to each side, leaving about 1/4" to 1/2" unsewn at bottom of handbag.
Sew both side panels to the front and back of your purse.
Attach the bottom of the handbag to the bottom of your front, back, and side panels, folding down where you left the bottom unsewn. I think it is easier to attach your bag together at the sides first, then sew along the longer seams at the front and back of your bag. For handles, you can use ribbon or you can use additional juice pouches to make your own handles. Simply sew to pouches top to bottom, cut the desired width of your handles, and fold back on each long side (about 1/4") and zig zag stitch both sides.
Fold down the top of your bag about 1/2" (to hide juice drink tops and to make the top even) and, if you like, add some trim (I prefer eyelash trim - it's easy to sew and looks really cute!

IMPORTANT: to make attaching the bottom of the purse easier leave 1/4 inch at the bottom of the seam open when attaching the front/back to the sides

Straps

There are many ways to create straps for the bags. I use either 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch strips of the pouches and either zig-zag the raw edges or fold them under and zig-zag.If my straps are two pouches long I usually sew them together before cutting them into strips, but if they ar longer I will cut the strips first and then sew them to each other (always sew them together before finishing the edges using either aforementioned method).
I have also heard of using aquarium tubing filled with beads for handles. Of course you can always use ribbon, fabric or purchased handles.

(*I used nylon strap material (you can see that in the picture) I bought online. I hadn't used it before now, so I'm thrilled I got to use it.*)

In the picture with the directions, the woman also made a purse with a flap, and also made them out of the koolaid Jammers. There cute!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM

What kind of needle did you use?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM

I had to go look, I used a size 16 needle, but I think if it would work, I would use a smaller size. It leaves big like holes in the pouches, but I also used invisible thread so it might not have been as noticeable with cotton thread.