Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
church window >

church window

church window

Old 08-09-2015, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Wow, that is going to be stunning. I hope you continue to post photos of your progress. Have you considered a satin stitch to substitute for the bias strip. It will only take about a million yards of thread...
Thank you. I have enjoyed it so far, just wish I would have started sooner. Yes I have and I don't think I am up for the challenge of fighting my machine for that...lots of starting and stopping and with the leading having to be so small, I risk the machine jamming up too much. I have actually satin stitched other projects with maximum stitch with and had issues. I don't want to fight it on this project.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
What?!!! Really?!! I cannot wait to see this!
sandy

REALLY! I don't know what I was thinking but I keep telling myself as my kids would say ... "Challenge Accepted!!!"
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
By Sept 12 of this year????? As in just over 1 month????? My oh my all that hand work finished in one month, I am well and truly gobsmacked!
I had planned to start them sooner but time got away from me so the large window is my priority and I have already planned to take the Thursday and Friday before Labor day off to have those 5 full days to work on it. Boss approved so I am set for power quilting that weekend.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 AM

I am in awe. I can't wait to see the finished product and to hear how you did the leading part. This quilt will be really special. I don't even know how you got the design on the fabric. That would be a huge job. I will be thinking of you.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Will be following your progress on this heavenly project. Can not wait to see the completed window.
I will post another picture tonight when I come to my stopping point. I am working on the large center pane today. I have more then half of it marked, trimmed and ready to go. After church I will finish prepping the rest of the pieces and start sewing. My goal is to get that window done today.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I bought some iron on 1/8" leading at a quilt show last year. I'm sure it's sold in quilt shops. Your windows are going to be beautiful.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 View Post
I am very excited to see your continued progress on this amazing endeavor. You have my prayers and lots of good wishes for your completion date. You have done the hardest part and I think most time consuming by drawing this out on your fabric. I love what I see so far. Super job!! In the past I have purchased 1/8" black bias tape a search should lead you to what you need. Tartan also had a very good idea using the black yarn.
Thank you for the compliments and prayers. I appreciate them.

I have researched 1/8" bias tape and have unsuccessfully found it or found it and realized I could do it cheaper with black fabric and self stitching. I did purchase a bias strop making however just in case I decide to use it but to me that is just more time I don't have to mess with right now. Its still an option though. I am also thinking of stopping my Joanns after church to see what kind of cording, ribbon, yarn or other similar product that may be out there I could try. I need A L O T though.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:33 AM

I will look into that. Thank you for the lead.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by FabStripper View Post
I will be following the progress on this beautiful project. If you take a break to say eat or sleep can you explain to us how you do this? I see the design was put on the fabric and how do you put the fabric pieces on? Is that by hand or by machine? Do you sew the fabric in a bit so you can trim the pieces? Thank you for any additional knowledge for this. Your church will be excited to see this. Does anybody else know that your doing this for the church? What a special gift!
Well yesterday, I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast before getting started, as it was quick. The kids were sleeping and hubby was at work so it was just me. I did two loads of laundry, thawed a roast, marinated steaks and eventually made dinner last night while working on this project, I am a huge multi-tasker when I want to be. . Put my TV on video on demand and listened to several movies one right after another. Even watched a couple I wouldn't normally watch that ended up being good movies. I was watching them in alphabetical order, I am in the "C's". lol

On this particular project, my original plan was to hand draw all the lines onto the fabric, I even invested in a good light box which I love by the way, it has came in handy for tracing out the patterns onto the colored fabric and works great. The lines on the background fabric were actually ironed on after having the designs printed on a large scale blue print printer that uses toner instead of ink. I remembered it working as an iron on after accidentally ironing a smaller image from an old project onto my ironing board. Once I remembered that accident, it became a life saver for this project. and I am very thankful for that. I am layering the pieces and them sewing through all of them at once to sew them down. I originally was needle turning every individual piece but had a "AH-HA" moment and realized I didn't need to do that. HUGE time saver. I am still needle turning the top layered pieces or the piece that have exposed edge. I am doing this incase this project gets "washed" by whomever purchases it. I didn't want to leave it up to change that something could come undone. I have tacked glued a few pieces down, but didn't like that so I am actually sewing everything in a "flat" method. It is how I do it to keep everything lined up vs holding it in my hand and sewing around the pieces. I used this self thought of method when I did my koi pond quilt and it worked well, it does cause me to go a tad bit slower then if I basted it down first and held it up do it but I do find it keeps the pieces in place this way.

There are a few people at church who are aware that I am doing this but it will be a big surprise to others. I hope it does well at the auction.

Thank you for you kind words and if you have anymore questions, please ask.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:53 AM

Thank you ALL for you words of encouragement and compliments. They will drive me to finish it so you all can see it. It means alot!! Thank you Thank you Thank you. Stay tuned.

Its time for me to get to church now. I'll post more pictures this evening and answer any questions I have missed this morning or that come today.

Happy Quilting!