Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Colorful Quilt >

The Colorful Quilt

The Colorful Quilt

Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 AM

Anyone who sews has patience. That is the first thing I was asked when I went to learn. Are you patient? "I said, I think so" lol...but I really am or I couldn't do this quilt...so far only one rip, not bad. What I like about this work (I am calling it work, because it is) is, that I really look forward to next puzzle. It is really not as hard as it looks, taken one block at a time. It is really fun. I am really enjoying getting up in the morning and going into my studio and starting..it's like I'm getting paid hahahahahahah
Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Anyone who sews has patience. That is the first thing I was asked when I went to learn. Are you patient? "I said, I think so" lol...but I really am or I couldn't do this quilt...so far only one rip, not bad. What I like about this work (I am calling it work, because it is) is, that I really look forward to next puzzle. It is really not as hard as it looks, taken one block at a time. It is really fun. I am really enjoying getting up in the morning and going into my studio and starting..it's like I'm getting paid hahahahahahah
Rosey you're so funny! I was wondering if the pattern came with pattern to cut out for PP and another for placement as you get your blocks done as your pic shows, or did you have to create that large placement map yourself? Hugs
Old 06-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Rosey you're so funny! I was wondering if the pattern came with pattern to cut out for PP and another for placement as you get your blocks done as your pic shows, or did you have to create that large placement map yourself? Hugs
It comes with the map/pattern you see on the wall. I took that to Kinkos and had them do me a copy just that same size, only their's came out in two parts but that was ok because I cut the patterns out anyway....some of the patterns, that are small like the stars, I make a freezer paper template. The others I just sew right on the paper pattern and make sure I have enough left over for the 1/4 seam . Then the other parts are the background and I use those patterns like templates to cut the fabric and add the 1/4 seam. When you cut the pattern apart, it doesn't have the 1/4 inch seam.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM

I decided to skip the C section as it has several parts and jump to D. I only wanted to do D first so I could colorize it, as it is the largest star and I wanted to make it hot like Mars with red and orange and yell and teal for a little cool side. I want this block to be the most colorful and then all the rest will go around it. It still has two mor spike rings but i will leave those until I finsih C as you can really join unless you go in the order of the blocks.
I will show the right side of the block and then I have to pin it on the wrong or reverse side on map.

reverse side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89234[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-89228.jpe   attachment-89229.jpe  
Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM

That pattern leaves me speechless,I've seen a lot of patterns but I think this one takes the cake - so to speak,I'm sure it will be beautiful when done. Sure hope you will post a photo when you are finished-it will take time.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MN QUILTLADY
That pattern leaves me speechless,I've seen a lot of patterns but I think this one takes the cake - so to speak,I'm sure it will be beautiful when done. Sure hope you will post a photo when you are finished-it will take time.

I agree with you totally lol. I am so glad that I tried it tho, because I am learning so much. I will post blocks as I finish them and they will also be on my blog with some work ups.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Wow. I have PP pretty much down pat but can't imagine doing this pattern without a given 1/4 seam allowance! That's insane!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM

You are "knocking my socks off" with this quilt!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM

I hope you made a few copies of the original pattern to work from in case some are ripped or errors are made. Wow, you have a ton of patience. I have worked on quilted pieces like yours, but, not as intricate, and with sooooooo many pieces. It will be a work of art when completed. You should submit it to a show someplace big. It will probably win a ribbon. I am serious. Beautiful work!!!!! Suzanne
Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 PM

wow! looks like a lot of work, but so worth it...that is going to be beautiful!!!