Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Colorful Quilt >

The Colorful Quilt

The Colorful Quilt

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 AM

You must be the queen of tiny pices!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I've seen similar patterns before and wondered how they fit together. I looked at your blog and saw how it happens. Thanks for the explanation. I made Karen K. Stone's 'Cinco de Mayo' pattern, which is similar to this but is square blocks. All the parts were hand drawn on tracing paper. I found it tears off easier than other paper. My quilt is 5 blocks X 6 blocks (each block about 11" square). My color palette is very different than Karen's tho.
Did you stay with the main color palette or change lots of areas? Did you make up a colored map to know what yours will look like before beginning the piecing of the sections? Is it difficult to sew the curved shapes together, some of those curves look kind of tight?
I didn't do a color map, I never do. I can see it in my mind. What I do is pull a color palette of fabrics, between three to seven colorways. This way, anything I do, will be fine. I use my color wheel a lot.

Depending on the design, I will eighter pick a palette or just do light and dark. In the light and dark palette, I use anything and don't worry about color at all. My Kaleidoscope is a good example (my blog).

The curves are not as difficult as they look and are not really tight. As long as that 1/4 inch seam is added. Curves are sewed up to a point of 1 or 2 (instructions) and every piece is maked and numbered. She did an excellent job with the pattern.

I don't bother with the markings as I refer to the map and place the next piece on it and mark with a pin and sew away. It has not given me one bit of trouble yet. Except!!!

Yesterday I was working on the C section and got ahead of the instructions (I thought I was so smart) and had to rip, hahahahah. My advice for this pattern, is to read the instruction line by line as you are working and before going to the next step.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM

I've seen similar patterns before and wondered how they fit together. I looked at your blog and saw how it happens. Thanks for the explanation. I made Karen K. Stone's 'Cinco de Mayo' pattern, which is similar to this but is square blocks. All the parts were hand drawn on tracing paper. I found it tears off easier than other paper. My quilt is 5 blocks X 6 blocks (each block about 11" square). My color palette is very different than Karen's tho.
That is the only part I don't have patience for, tracing the pattern. I just can't do it. It kills me, unless it is a small piece like the wedges on the star. I bought Karen's software. You have to have EQ to use it. I printed out the patterns on 11x17 paper, the cheapest kind, and sewed on it. The Cinco is like the New York beauty with more spikes and rings and I did a work up on it on my blog when I did it too...it went together like butter but a lot of work too. It took me 400 hours because I was very anal about it hahahahah
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by shopella
You must be the queen of tiny pices!
As long as the tiny pieces are Paper pieced....lol
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Fireworkslover - Hi! Could you please post a pic of your Cinco De Mayo? I have that book with pattern and would like to give it a try but........... it looks like a stinker as I'm not totally comfortable with applique yet. All I've done is needle turn for Dear Jane. I've done several of Karen Stones quilts but not Cinco yet. Hugs
Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
Fireworkslover - Hi! Could you please post a pic of your Cinco De Mayo? I have that book with pattern and would like to give it a try but........... it looks like a stinker as I'm not totally comfortable with applique yet. All I've done is needle turn for Dear Jane. I've done several of Karen Stones quilts but not Cinco yet. Hugs
There's no applique in this one. It's a New York Beauty type. Mine took me 6 months to piece together, another month to decide the final placement of the blocks, tearing some blocks apart and remaking them w/ different fabric in the arcs. Then a couple weeks to fmq and sitd. I made it in 2 sections, then sewed them together by hand on the back. I'll see if I have a photo of it somewhere.

a small section of "Stars Among Bees", my Cinco de Mayo pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88462[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88457.jpe  
Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
There's no applique in this one. It's a New York Beauty type. Mine took me 6 months to piece together, another month to decide the final placement of the blocks, tearing some blocks apart and remaking them w/ different fabric in the arcs. Then a couple weeks to fmq and sitd. I made it in 2 sections, then sewed them together by hand on the back. I'll see if I have a photo of it somewhere.
Thanks so much for posting a pic and your reply. It is gorgeous! I bet you had a gas picking fabrics to put together! Love your fabric choices. You have inspired me to dig the book out a re-assess! LOL Hugs
Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Just looking at the map of this quilt scares me to death.
You are going a great job.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Just looking at the map of this quilt scares me to death.
You are going a great job.
You're too funny! However, it scares me too. I have been agonizing over whether or not to order it (it's expensive and I have so many "to do") but finding out the pattern doesn't include the 1/4 inch scares me to death! The map I can handle but I've never done a PP quilt that 1/4 was not included, and I think I would forget at different times and would really have a mess on my hands! This quilt, and the Cinco De Mayo our other quilting friend posted blows me away. They are so talented! I am inspired! LOL
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM

Taking a break, almost finished with section c.....