Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Crocheted Fleece

Blog Entries
    I made some crocheted fleece blankets for my 2 new nephews and new niece. Here is a picture of the two styles I made:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    very cute, thanks for sharing with us

Blog Entries
    Beautiful fleece and edgings :D:D:D

Beautiful!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    WOW very nice, great idea!

How did you make the holes for working the crochet through? I have seen on-line somewhere a rotary blade that makes spaced slashes for anchoring the crochet.

Anyway, beautiful. I know that they will be greatly loved and appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    How did you make the holes for working the crochet through? I have seen on-line somewhere a rotary blade that makes spaced slashes for anchoring the crochet.

Anyway, beautiful. I know that they will be greatly loved and appreciated.
    I used a blade called the Skip Stitch. I ordered it from their website. http://www.skipstitch.com

You can also use an awl and manually poke the holes through.

I do crochet around fleece baby blankets too. I sell them at craft shows. In the past 5 years I have made about 300 blankets, maybe more. Yours are very pretty. What size do you make yours?

Blog Entries
    So sweet, love the edging.

Blog Entries
    I want to do the same thing with the fleece i bought.I have a thing all i have to do is pound a hole,oh a small gromit,i can't spell that word.It just puts in a small hole.

Blog Entries
    I was wondering how far apart should i put the hole?

How beautiful is that! So much better than the ties...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    I do crochet around fleece baby blankets too. I sell them at craft shows. In the past 5 years I have made about 300 blankets, maybe more. Yours are very pretty. What size do you make yours?
    They are made of 1 yd of fabric, minus a bit to make it square. All 3 of mine got curly around the corners. Do yours do that too? How do I get future ones to lay flatter?

Thanks

What a good idea. Thanks for sharing. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    I was wondering how far apart should i put the hole?
    The Skip Stitch makes them about 1/2" apart. That's what I was doing when I was still using an awl too.

thank for the crochet info! I tried just poking my crochet needle thru the fleece with some crochet cotton thread - hoping to make a base to work more yarn on to. What a job! I pulled all that I had done and just folded the edges under and sewed them down with a zig-zag stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    They are made of 1 yd of fabric, minus a bit to make it square. All 3 of mine got curly around the corners. Do yours do that too? How do I get future ones to lay flatter?

Thanks
    I put 3 single crochets in the corners on the first row around. Then in the second row around I put three of whatever stitch I am using in the center hole of those 3. It will help your corners to lay flatter and give them a little more of a rounded corner. I sometimes do all rows in single crochet...sometimes I do 3 rows of half-double crochet. Sometimes I do a shell or a scallop row after the first 2 rows.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Thanks
    I put 3 single crochets in the corners on the first row around. Then in the second row around I put three of whatever stitch I am using in the center hole of those 3. It will help your corners to lay flatter and give them a little more of a rounded corner. I sometimes do all rows in single crochet...sometimes I do 3 rows of half-double crochet. Sometimes I do a shell or a scallop row after the first 2 rows.
    Is there a pattern somewhere to explain how the edging is put on or can you share it? I just love those!!! Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    I want to do the same thing with the fleece i bought.I have a thing all i have to do is pound a hole,oh a small gromit,i can't spell that word.It just puts in a small hole.
    Connie In Co-- you can do a blanket stitch around, then crochet in the blanket stitch, Pat P

i will try to post a picture of something i made for a dear friend this christmas.... a boy scout fleece pannel with crochet border...
    i've made many of these, somtimes by just making a "tiny" hole with very small sissors, but that's not really uniform. this time i used a 1/16" hole punch..(yes it worked thru the fabric).... spaced them about half to three quarters of an inch.. all around (be sure to make holes at least 1" in.. this allows the fleece to curl and fold over a bit as you work)..using anything from a G to an I crocht hook
    i do the 1st row with SC, chain 1 or 2 or 3 between holes... (this depends on size of yarn and hook as to the number of chains, as well as what the second row or pattern is going to be).. in the corner.. i would co SC,ch2,SC this gives a nice sharp turn... if doing a straight edge, i make one last row of "ric rack" crochet (or known as backwards crochet)... use a size smaller hook, for some reason this works.. but makes a nice looking solid edge...
    hope this helps..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
    i will try to post a picture of something i made for a dear friend this christmas.... a boy scout fleece pannel with crochet border...
    i've made many of these, somtimes by just making a "tiny" hole with very small sissors, but that's not really uniform. this time i used a 1/16" hole punch..(yes it worked thru the fabric).... spaced them about half to three quarters of an inch.. all around (be sure to make holes at least 1" in.. this allows the fleece to curl and fold over a bit as you work)..using anything from a G to an I crocht hook
    i do the 1st row with SC, chain 1 or 2 or 3 between holes... (this depends on size of yarn and hook as to the number of chains, as well as what the second row or pattern is going to be).. in the corner.. i would co SC,ch2,SC this gives a nice sharp turn... if doing a straight edge, i make one last row of "ric rack" crochet (or known as backwards crochet)... use a size smaller hook, for some reason this works.. but makes a nice looking solid edge...
    hope this helps..
    I do crochet do I may sound a little stupid here...how to start the actual crochet. What are you "hooking" onto to start the actual crochet?

Quote Originally Posted by Japonica
    hope this helps..
    I do crochet do I may sound a little stupid here...how to start the actual crochet. What are you "hooking" onto to start the actual crochet?
    I just went on youtube and found a great tutorial based on what you shared. Thanks so much. Here is the site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3Jye7HIr8

people are using a piece of Fleece Fabric.. cut to the size they want, and then do the "crochet" technique to border or "edge" around it... it's especially nice for little boys, that you don't want to be all "frilly" with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Japonica
    hope this helps..

awwww.. why didn't i think of that.... i LOVE youtube... can sit for hours... i'm retired and have spent my whole life have to figure out "how to's" because i didn't have the tools... this is great!! thank you!!