Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A curios quilt from the past

I had a chance to take a picture of the quilt that my wife just got from a cousin that her great grandmother made in 1930. When we hung it up to take a picture we discovered a rather curious shape to the upper 1/3 of the quilt. It appears to have been expanded when it was made with the addition of a number of extra pieces of pattern to allow for a widening of the shape on one side. I have never seen this sort of thing done and I have no reason why the maker would have done this. All the other edges are square to each other with the exception of the upper left edge. Curious to say the least. It will probably forever remain a mystery, as the maker is long gone as are any contemporaries of hers. The quilt is rather large over 7' long by 5' wide. And the blue is a flying geese pattern. The name of the man is at the top and her name is in the 2nd and 3rd line and his family name is on the 4th line and the date of 1930 at the bottom. There is a small spot of blood in the center of the quilt that goes all the way through to the back. Almost not noticeable, but it is there. I may attempt to remove it after I try some of the various remedies on the portion of the stain that is on the back. If it doesn't respond, then it will become part of the history of the quilt. It is now hanging in our living room and looks just fine, as it is. So we may not do anything to it at all.
    John

A curious shaped quilt
    Name:  Attachment-273381.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  108.3 KB

So interesting! Maybe she was running out of blue material and make the best 'adjustment' she could.

Could the size change be to accommadate the longer name???

A thought-

SAMUELA be a woman's 1st name
    then her middle name, followed by
    her maiden name
    last - her married name

"When this you see, remember me.'' Or made by a young woman in memory of her mother???

Blog Entries
    my thought is that it was made to fit an odd shaped bed, like in a boat or camper

Blog Entries
    That is what I thought, she needed more room for the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing

A thought-

SAMUELA be a woman's 1st name
    then her middle name, followed by
    her maiden name
    last - her married name

"When this you see, remember me.'' Or made by a young woman in memory of her mother???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    That is what I thought, she needed more room for the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I thought that too, until I counted the letters. Samuela & Secrest both have 7 letters. Plus, the word length could be adjusted by the white spaces between the letters.

I agree that it is a custom shaped quilt to fit a particular bed, camper, daybed, or lounge.

I think she needed more room for the name too.

Someone in that bed was a cover hog, and she was trying to pre-empt them.

Darren

Blog Entries
    Isn't it so much more interesting than a regular shape?!!

Maybe the person who slept on that side had an arm that stuck out (war wound or accident) and the wonderfully named Samuela wanted to keep it warm?

Blog Entries
    Samuela AND Idamae are two different people. The quilter fit the word AND in between other blocks. They are definetly related.

It is beautiful. But that bump out is curious.

Blog Entries
    It looks, to me, as though a tear or worn area was simply folded in and stitched - note there are 21 flying geese at both top & bottom, fewer in the mid-section where the quilt is narrower....just a thought.

Blog Entries
    it looks to me the name is Samuel A. and Ida Mae i also think the bump out was a mistake and just didn't rip it out

Blog Entries
    That is a puzzler! Two thoughts:

The geese for the top section were made separately from the geese for the bottom section. When the quiltmaker realized that they came out a different length, she adjusted the quilt size to match.

The bed sat against the wall -- the right side of the quilt from looking at the pic. But they liked to have their pillows under the quilt during the day, so the quiltmaker made the top wider, so that it would approximately hand down the same amount on the side toward the room, even with the pillows underneath.

My thoughts on the shape are that it was made that way on purpose. Maybe a fainting couch sort of shape with a larger area that would account for the larger end. I think it is something that will probably remain a mystery as none of the principals or their immediate survivors are still living. The name Samuel A Bird was the husband, And Ida Mae Secrest was the wife. That much we know for sure. The date 1930 wasn't their wedding date, it was much earlier and my wife thinks it just represented the date of the making of the quilt. She made the quilt when she was 62. Samuel A. was long gone when she made the quilt. He died in 1909. It does make it unique. That is for sure. We have some pictures of other quilts that she made and they are very well executed and done "correctly" as it were. She was an accomplished quilter. So this one was made this way on purpose.
    John

Well, I'm stumped on this one. I've never seen anything like it.

It looks like she needed the extra room for SAMUEL oops Samuela - but maybe not. It's clever, whatever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    The bed sat against the wall -- the right side of the quilt from looking at the pic. But they liked to have their pillows under the quilt during the day, so the quiltmaker made the top wider, so that it would approximately hand down the same amount on the side toward the room, even with the pillows underneath.
    That is my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    That is a puzzler! Two thoughts:

This is a pretty reasonable idea and might be just what was planned. A good guess anyway.
    John

It was my thought as well that the extra space was to cover the pillows when the bed was made up and still have the side hang even.

Love the quilt and the mystery.

Blog Entries
    At first I thought about the pillow tuck but then realized that a twin or full mattress is only 75 inches long. With a seven foot quilt that is only allowing a nine inch drop over the end of the bed and isn't long enough to actually cover the pillows. Especially if they were hand stuffed feather pillows. On a full size mattress a five foot wide quilt would only allow a 2 inch drop on each side. My DH's grandfather was a mattress maker. His mother was born in 1920 and mattress were standardized sizes at that time in history. They did however make what was known as a 3/4 sized bed back then. Probably meant for two children to sleep in but still fit nicely in the small rooms that most older homes seem to have. Your quilt is an is an oddity but beautiful none the less. How wonderful that your wife was gifted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Someone in that bed was a cover hog, and she was trying to pre-empt them.

Darren
    :thumbup:

Looks like it was pieced in sections, the top and bottom sections have 21 blue geese in the 4 rows, but there are less in the rows in the name section. Maybe this was only apparent when the 3 sections were put together to do the quilting?

Blog Entries
    I do think it was Samuel A, not Samuela, but it still is a mystery. Guess it will remain one, too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast