Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Design Foor???? >

Design Foor????

Design Foor????

Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM

I used to have a design floor too and when I have two quilts on the go I still use it! About a week ago I got tired of crawling on the floor and my cats constantly mess up my squares so I made a design board. I just used tiny little nails and tacked up a 4 x 4 piece of white felt on the wall near my sewing machines. I'd love a bigger one but I don't have enough room for a larger one so this one will have to do. When I am working on a big quilt I use the large one at my quilting teacher's studio and I take a picture of the quilt. This way I can reassemble it in sections on my smaller board. I works for me, not perfect but hey, we all do whatever it takes to quilt.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 AM

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does this. Someday when I moving my sewing into another room, I might put one up. But, until then, I guess you'll find me on my hands and knees on the floor scooting about.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:06 AM

I used to use the floor til I got my own studio, now I have 2 design walls & still use the floor!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 AM

I used to use a flannel backed table cloth and put it up with masking tape. TAPE TAPE TAPE. Well, it wouldn't be up long before it would fall down. I'd put it up again, more TAPE TAPE TAPE. Down it would come. I got so discussed on Wednesday I went to Office Supply and bought two 3' cork rods. I hung them up and I think they will work just fine.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:55 AM

I use too but no more -it really makes a difference and is so much easier on the old knees.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I don't have a design wall. I have been using my floor for laying my pieces out. Who else besides me works on their floor?
If possible I use my spare queen size bed if not the floor works just fine.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 AM

I use my 83 year old Mom's floor! She has a lot more open space and she loves to help me arrange blocks. She says "put this one over there, put that one there," etc! She gets involved and gets to see what I'm working on and we both enjoy the time together.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 AM

I was using the floor but hubby bought me a ping pong table exclusively for quilting purposes that is now in the studio
Old 07-28-2012, 08:08 AM

the floor and for larger quilts I have to move easy chairs out, then I go up the steps and look down, works great!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Also the exception here. I tack a piece of batting on my wall and use it for my design wall. I usually end up using that piece of batting for the quilt, if it's the right size.

Jane