Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Designs by my DGS Joey >

Designs by my DGS Joey

Designs by my DGS Joey

Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Wow! He is very creative!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

He has been wanting his own EQ for quite awhile now. His mom told him he could not download it onto her computer as she didn't have the room. So He got a computer of his own for Christmas and the first thing he said was he wanted to download my EQ program. As I am allowed to put it on 2 computers and haven't til now I let him downnload it on his pc. He is enthralled with it!! He has OCD and it plays into his obsession with geometrics but he has a natural eye for placement and color etc. He does have alot to learn about making them user friendly but he is off to a good start.

I do have designs he has done on my computer too. He has spent alot of time playing on mine over the last 3 yrs.
He has a high IQ. He is in 6th grade but tests out at 11th grade in reading and was in a TAG program for gifted students. His mind is always running on high and way ahead of him. He is always questioning what if or why and gets down to minute detail. It takes alot to keep him occupied so giving him this EQ is a great way to channel all that busyness and questing for new things!! He reads the encyclopedia for fun and challenges himself all the time. So this was a natural element for him to learn to design.

I am going to give him the link tonight so he can read this thread. He will be so thrilled to hear all of your comments!!

Thank you so much for all of your kind comments!! It is important to me to encourage him to succeed in this!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM

This is a great way to teach artistic/mathematical principles like symmetry. Bravo to Joey--and to you for for encouraging him .
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Great job Joey! Very creative.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

WOW! Holy Cow! I have EQ6 and have designed one really boring ugly quilt! I have had EQ7 since it came out and haven't even had the guts to install it!!
I am amazed and so very very impressed with his designs! I would LOVE to see a couple of those designs as quilts! I personally think you shouldn't change him from busy designs. I have seen some very complicated but very beautiful quilt designs for sale out there! He will figure out the "busy-ness" on his own at some point. Especially if you try to work on creating a quilt with him. You could talk to him as you make it letting him know areas where you struggle. For now, try to let him be as creative as he wants to be (which I know you do.) He is a natural talent! Keep us all posted if you manage to get a workable pattern out of one of those!!! I am definitely interested!
FAN-tastic!
:) :)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM

OMG - what a talented and gifted DGS you have on your hands. Awesome that you are giving him the resources to express his talent. Who knows where this will lead him!! :)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Those are amazing! Joey you are very talented. I hope someday you will make one of those beauties! They would even be unusual cards. I especially like number 7...I can imagine it being a really nice quilt. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by magpiefeather
Those are amazing! Joey you are very talented. I hope someday you will make one of those beauties! They would even be unusual cards. I especially like number 7...I can imagine it being a really nice quilt. Keep up the good work!
I love the card idea. I don't think he will ever be a real quilter as he is too impatient and not real interested in the actual sewing. He has sewn a couple of little pieces but I don't think that is his area. But using his designs in graphic art might be a serious consideration for him. At this age who knows what he will do as an adult but this could be a great hobby for him if it may or may not be an actual career even as he gets older.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Thank you all so much for all your support! I know he will be thrilled!!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

thanks from joey