Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
destroyed quilt pics >

destroyed quilt pics

destroyed quilt pics

Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Lovely ideas you have for your mum. Good luck with your quest and I am sure you mum will love the thought and sentiment that is going into this project.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM

So sad. I'm sorry for your families loss of their home and belongings.The quilt is work of art. Good luck making the new quilt
Old 09-11-2011, 02:31 PM

I wish I knew enough about hand quilting and applique to help you. I think with all these ladies in your corner, especially MTS, you will be able to finish this project without any problem. Your mom is truly blessed to have such a loving daughter.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM

I do NOT have the skill to give you advice other than to say this quilt looks to have had a cotton batting. If you use cotton batting, I have been told by others that it is easier to get smaller stitches. I'm not ready to try it yet, but thought the advice may be helpful to you. Enjoy giving your mother back a "HUG" from her mom.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM

OKEY, I UNDERSTAND NOW. THAT SOUNDS GOOD. MY GRAND MOTHER HAD MADE ALOT OF QUILTS WHEN SHE DIED...I WANTED ..JUST OONE OF THEM. DID NOT GET ONE. I THINK THEY MAYBE WENT TO THE DUMP. THEY LIVED ON A FARM IN IOWA. HINCE...MY DESIRE TO MAKE QUILTS.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Dee

I am so sorry. You're a wonderful daughter to ease the pain for your mom. Good luck with the beautiful quilt.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Would anyone (family, friends) have visited your mother, grandmother, or great grandmother and taken any pictures of the quilts? Probably not. Just a thought. I was thinking of my husband's mother's quilts and I know we did not take pictures of her quilting or her quilts. Hind sight. I didn't take pictures of my mother quilting either. I so wish....
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Originally Posted by quilting grammy
I WOULD NOT PUT ANY OTHER PARTS INTO THIS QUILT. IT WOULD NOT HAVE THE SAME MEMORY AS WHO HAD MADE IT TO BEGIN WITH. I WOULD ARANGE WHAT YOU HAVE AND FRAME IT BEHIND GLASS. GOOD LUCK.
i think maybe people are misunderstanding....i am not trying to put this quilt back together....i plan to use these pieces for a shadow box with a picture of my great grandmother....then i plan to make a new quilt that will look very similar....to to replace it but to carry on the quilting tradition in our family!!!
You're plan is wonderful!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Oops I hit send too soon!!
I wanted to give you some hints for the hand quilting.

1. I know that the batting is probably cotton but if you want to try to get those tiny stitches you should consider the wool batting. I know that it's much more expensive but you'll be amazed at how much smaller your stitches can get. I usually try to get it on sale.

2. As you're hand quilting use your thumbnail on your right hand (that's if your right handed) to stop your needle as it comes up so that it comes up where you want it. Clear as mud? (Wish I had a picture!)

3. I've always quilted with a hoop (very loose) but for these tiny stitches you could try to do it in your lap without a hoop.

4. Start in the middle but try to quilt toward the bottom left first. You will get better as you quilt & this will be the last place the eye will rest.

You probably know all of these things but I thought I see if I could shed some light on this. :-) I hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 PM

That was/is a beautiful quilt and the pieces
you have will look fantastic in a shadow box.
Good luck with your quilt.