Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
destroyed quilt pics >

destroyed quilt pics

destroyed quilt pics

Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM

wow, beautiful hand work
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM

So wonderful what you are planning to do for mom, just a thought as to working this up for her; are your siblings able to help with any of the hand work? Even just a bit that they could also put their signature on? My thought on this is years ago, I started a applique maple leaf quilt, cut out all the blocks and leaves, and then came KIDS - my grandmother knew I wouldn't have time to complete it, so she took all the parts and pieces, passed them among many family members, and each worked on a block and signed it. Great Grandma Rose was the last to work on it and did all the hand quilting. What a treasure my family worked up for me and my kids. Just a thought!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
My great grandmother was a amazing quilter....my mother was given 2 of her amazing quilts about 15 years ago...they were works of arts her stitches were soooo tiny...my mom took both of the quilts to museums and they wanted to display them...my mom did not want to part with them. They were both applique. So about 11 years ago my mom was at my house visiting due to the birth of our second child...well while she was at my house her home burned to the ground....So i went back with her to help her with anything i could...( my mom has 11 children and she had 8 still at home at the time ) . So when we went to the house to see if there was anything we could save , which there was hardly anything...well my mom couldnt handle being there and didnt want to even look. One of the quilts was no longer there...completly gone. But one was on a quilt rack in her bedroom and it was on a wall that was not completely destroyed so i saw the quilt there on the rack...i scooped it up and got back out of that yuck and laid it on the grass....oh my the whole center was burned out...so i cut off the pieces that are still ok....and my plan was to re make this quilt for my mom and maybe put the pieces of this one in a shadow box for her....so to my actual question...if i post some pictures can someone help me design this quilt.....i plan to handquilt this like my great grandmother did but i know that my stitches will be no where near as small as her's.....i took this quilt to my lqs and the ladies there were shocked at the tiny stitches they had never seen them that small....
anyways if you have read this far thanks
here are the pics...i do have one more piece that i cant find...but it has my great grandmothers initials and date embroidered into the quilt...this quilt was orig. a queen size quilt
If this was leaves and vines, Elanore Burns has a book full of leaves and vines that might be somewhat like what this might have been like.... I believe that is what the title may be... Leaves and Vines... I am so sorry to hear this sad story... Thank God she is safe... just so terrible to loose precious memories...Hug her for me.... I hope you can check this book and see if that might be helpful....
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM

As well as reproducing the quilt, perhaps you could frame the pieces of the original, so that she could have a memento.
I think the act of providing the replacement quilt will provide your family with a second heirloom that will be equally treasured, so don't worry about your quilting being different - it will be consistently yours and will add to the story of this quilt.
Your colours selected look like good reproductions.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 AM

tnx for sharing that sad story. The fab looks perfect for the beautiful quilt I know you will craft and she will treasure. Wish both of you nothing but happiness after that tragedy.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S
My first thought when I saw the close-up of your grandmothers work was that should be framed! Maybe you could make wall hangings and then duplicate the pattern of both the piecing and the quilting in a new quilt. Sorry for your mothers troubles, hope she is doing okay. She is lucky to have a daughter like you.

I so also like this idea, preserve the orginal in a frame. with your story. :) sorry about the fire.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Your story is so sad. But with your optimism, you will be able to create a masterpiece for your mother...one that she will cherish because you made it for her.
I, too, would frame some of the original pieces to hang in her bedroom.