Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamonds like an accordian?

I really like it, great job!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    anxiously waiting for the finished look!

I haven't decided how I am going to place the blocks lol. I did another load today and the undesirable fabric are disappearing fast lol.....

Power Poster
    looking good !!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Rosy, that is awesome!! Do us a tute on it, please!!!

How neat! Love scrap quilts & you came up with a great one.
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

Blog Entries
    Love it, what a fabulous idea. Please make sure and post the completed quilt when you are done.

I really like the look of this. I just might have to try it. Thanks for sharing.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

Power Poster
    Oh my gosh...That is awesome..

I like this, keep going.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so inadequate after seeing all the beautiful pics on this board!

I really love it, as soon as I can, I will give it a try, Thank you

Please let us see the finished product. Can't wait!

Nice! I'd keep going, only replace the ones with the horizontal piecings. They look a little funny and spoil the 3-D effect. Undesirable or not, these fabrics have made an interesting quilt! At the least, you could donate it.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have removed the offending cross strip blocks lol and now here are 2 pics of the light strips going up and down and the dark going across and a pic of the dark strips going up and down and the light going across. Which do you like the best?

There are 80 bocks so far on the board. I have burned through the undesirable lights lol and am ripping from other sources and still have some dark left. I think I need to make at least 200 blocks to have a fair size quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
    Rosy, that is awesome!! Do us a tute on it, please!!!
    I am happy to do a little tut on it. First make a paper template of a 60 degree diamond, this will help you with the direction of the cuts as the blocks are mirror image. Write left on one side of the template and right on the other.

Cut your strips into 2 inches or 2 inches and below if you just want random any size strips. Make your strata by sewing the strips together. Once you figure out how many blocks you can cut from a strata, then you can get the length of your strips. (if you are cutting fresh strips, please cut or tear them on the straight of grain.)

Press the seams to the side, measure and cut your strata to a 6 inch width. Place you template on the strata and see if it's a right or left cut. Place you 60 degree line of your ruler and cut the first cut, turn the strip, line up you 60 d line and count 6 inches from the left of the ruler and make your second cut. (Bear in mind that some rulers have an extra half inch added on one side, so you will have to move that over and count after it. ) Now, cut all your left or right patches from the same strata strip.

Line the blocks up on your board and sew them in rows and then sew the rows together but we will see that when I start to do it.

The pics below will show the first cut (that is my template, I make them out of anything lol) and then the strip turned for the second cut. The right and left block and blocks cut from the same strip all going the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I seem to be drawn to the first with dark vertical, but the second arrangement seems to lighten or brighten the dark colors. Maybe just the photo effect. I feel the motion in the first more. May not make sense...sorry. Which ever you choose, it is beautiful work. Love this idea for my box of strips. Did you say you tore the strips? All same width or varied widths? Thank you so much for showing your work and process!

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    I seem to be drawn to the first with dark vertical, but the second arrangement seems to lighten or brighten the dark colors. Maybe just the photo effect. I feel the motion in the first more. May not make sense...sorry. Which ever you choose, it is beautiful work. Love this idea for my box of strips. Did you say you tore the strips? All same width or varied widths? Thank you so much for showing your work and process!
    Yes, I already had a bunch of strip and most of those were cut across the grain, which is not my way but for free take right? lol. I needed more strips so I just tore those on the straight of grain. I just ran the ruler along the edge and cut a dent with my cutter to mark the size and then started tearing.

The first batch of strips that I had were different sizes and I used those and some 2 inch ones. From now on tho I will tear only 2 inch strips.

You can make this quilt with any size strips tho, but I wouldn't suggest more than a two inch strip width.

I have to hurry and finish this top as I have already found my next S & C. Oh boy, I have really hit the jackpot with ideas lol.

Blog Entries
    Thank you !!

Like them all,but #1 is my favorite. Thanks again for all of the help.
    Lizzy in La.

I'm always amazed at how "undesirable" fabrics take on a beauty all their own when used in a design like this. I enjoy your posts so much. Thank you for giving me inspiration and confidence to try new things. I'm still in awe of the last quilt you did...the labyrinth.
    Debbie
    The Teddybear Lady

I love it. CAnt for the life of me see what is undesirable about that fabric. Even after reading your instructions, I don't know I could figure it out.

love what you are doing

I love those undesirable fabrics. It is going to be one rich quilt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast