Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
From Don--isewman/new pictures >

From Don--isewman/new pictures

From Don--isewman/new pictures

Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 PM

WOW Don great job, love the quilt and nice pic of your family. Congrats!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Another lovely quilt, Don, not to mention lovely granddaughter! I have not been in your situation, but I know your son will now have a passel of quilters keeping him in their prayers!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Don, Your granddaughter and quilt are beautiful. About your son keep as positive as you can. Why not design and make a quilt while he is away. Give yourself a challenge-some form of patchwork you would not normally do.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Beautiful quilt and adorable granddaughter! Prayers going up for your son's safe return.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

sorry your son will be gone over there, the quilt is beautiful. Penny
Old 04-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Don, your quilt and grandaughter are beautiful. So many supportive messages have been sent to you! What a great community we have! I can only repeat and support everyone else's suggestions on the blog. My son will commision this July as an Army Officer. He will deploy within a year. I am very proud of him and I know you are as proud of your son also. My plan is to send him with a quilt to keep us close to him. Maybe making one for your son with help also. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers also.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM

I've thought a lot about what I would post here....my stepson has been deployed once to Iraq, Baghdad, for 15 months. He just came back September 1st. They gave him leave at Christmas, and I knew something was up. They are sending him to Korea. He's rather frank about some things and he feels they are sending them there to be closer to Afghanistan and Pakistan. What he does is dangerous.

I've know him since he was 10 and he's almost 22 now. My husband and him have always been very close. Do not be surprised if he doesn't tell you anything about what it's like outside of the weather. They know very well how much what they are doing worries you. They can be aprehensive about saying anything because they don't want you to worry. My husband became ill in the fall and I had to call the Red Cross to get Steven home. My DH was very upset that I had him wait so long to tell him. Steven was thankful. They just don't have time to worry about home. They take the time worrying about home that might be the time they need to react to something in the here and now.

Also, don't be surprised if he doesn't want to tell you what he's scared of or how serious or not serious things are. Sometimes, they just can't deal talking about it until later. Keep things light and positive.

I never have been a big fan of news reports from wars because 99% of it is inaccurate. You will drive yourself crazy trying to hear or see every little thing worrying that it's your son they are talking about. I can't tell you how many times I changed the news because I didn't want to give myself that burden. It just makes your time longer.

It seems like you have a bit more free time than I do. I have Steven's 3 little brothers at home and there are 4 other adult children around too to keep me busy, plus I work full time. I picked a quilt that was simple...I've seen your work, so you may like something more complex...I started it the day he left and put the last stitch of binding into it the moment my hubby saw the lights of the plane come into view. 15 months of love went into it. I worked on it here and there as I made some smaller pieces in between. I can only finish about 1 big project a year and try to fit in smaller ones too so I don't get bored.

I posted a picture here so everyone could see it, I'll have to go find it and come back. I kept myself busy cranky out small projects because I wanted to work on it the whole time he was gone. I didn't want to finish it before he made it home. So far, it's the largest quilt I've ever made.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25117-1.htm

I also immersed myself in quilts of valor, yellow ribbons, and Blue Star mom's banners. I sent Christmas cards in bulk so as many of our boys and girls as possible, could have something from home for Christmas. I have a couple girlfriends I met through these projects that make placemats, air fresheners for footlockers and all sorts of smaller crafts that can be sent to soldiers who don't get a lot of mail. There are TONS of things you can do and it all helps, both your son and his commerades.

sorry for such a long post.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Your granddaughter is a cutie, and your quilt is gorgeous! Great job!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM

Don-great quilt as usual.

Thank your son for his service.

My DH says alot of the guys coming back from there are having PTSD and not talking about anything. Keep an eye on him when he returns and encourage him to get with a group at the VA to 'talk it out'.

There is alot af very good advice here. Keep the faith and make lots of quilts!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 PM

It's beautiful Don!