Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: From Don----what to do with this material

Beautiful fabric. I agree with feline fanatic about the braid quilt. After you look at the quilt she is talking about and then the fabric you have, it would be one way to allow every one to get the full effect of the fabric.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    This might sound a little crazy but how about using it in some type of broderie perse fashion. Maybe some log cabin like image of pyramids with fussy cut images dispersed over it? (My friends say I'm weird with my ideas!)

That fabric is awesome! Sorry, but I have no suggestions for you. I know frame it or wrap it on painter's board and enjoy the display.

Don I love the fabric ... I have done this very simple pattern called sidelights here is the web site with a pic of the pattern .. this would be fast and simple and gorgeous!! You might even be able to make two using fabrics that coordinate with it.. in the small squares and the borders..
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MPC-302
    Enjoy!
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama

Vat
    I agree a Stack n Whack would be a good chose for a pattern. There are so many to choose from. The four patch, fans. 60 degree triangle, etc.,etc. You'll need to choose pattern to go with the amount of fabric you have.

A stack and whack with kaleidoscope or star blocks - see Linda Rotz Miller's website for some ideas of layouts. I'm a great fan of her quilts.

Don, I'd do a whole cloth quilt and quilt around the pictures. I'd
    use a solid complementary color on the back and thread matching the backing. Thanks for sharing. Eiltcoq.

Blog Entries
    You've already gotten great suggestions. I would also either use it on the back or cut it in large pieces. If cutting it into large pieces I would also add blue, green and the pretty purplish/pinkish color around the large pieces if you go this way. Whatever you do share a picture when it's finished. :-P

Is the repeat good enough for a OBW (OneBlockWonder)?

It would be an Egyptian mystery-insid-joke-quilt ....

It would look nothing like the original print, but you "in-guys" would know

Blog Entries
    Cool and very unique fabric!

Blog Entries
    I would not fussy cut, it takes to much away from the whole picture. I would not use as a panel, its to busy. I have fabric this type, but it has campers all over and fealt the same as you, omg cant cut this ! The pattern I used was big blocks, 9 in squares with the main fabric and contrasting fabric triangles for the other squares.It came out beautiful,very happy with the result and nothing was taken away from the artwork. You have a lot of beautiful colors for contrast on this fabric.But, this is what I would do with this fabric. Good luck, oh and it was a king size quilt and I tied it. I cant wait to see what you are going to do with yours.

That is so beautiful - have never seen anthing like it. I would not be able to cut it up either.

Beautiful fabric. I think I would treat it as a panel and work form there. Too pretty to chop up

Make a quillow.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    It is, indeed, a gorgeous fabric. When looking at the full piece laid out, the repeats of the pattern rather stick out. I would probably fussy cut those and use them in a quilt that looks like looking through windows [can't think of the name of that pattern].
    Attic Windows. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchet
    I'd save some for a border but I'd fussy cut some to put in a block to display the beautiful design with a rich purple background. It would really make it pop with purple and black. I think I'd use mostly black and add colors like the purple and the turquoise in like a jewel pattern.

Good luck, I can't wait to see what you do with it!!
    This would be my 1st choice too

Don't know if this suits you or not, but I really enjoyed using the pattern "Center Court" that I purchased from a LQS when I didn't want to cut up a piece of fabric. I'll attach a pic so you can see it. As you can see you can compliment the Egyptian fabric with lots of other colored fabric with the blocks and border. I purchased the pattern from the Quilt Haus. Their website is www.quilthaus.com. The owner, Deanne, is the one that designed this pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The colors are gorgeous. Maybe a strippy quilt so you have long rows of the beautiful print.

How about a King Tut quilt?

It's beautiful....I would not want to cut it up I'd use it for the backing of a quilt.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    That is so beautiful. I think I would either treat it like a panel & add coordinating borders, or use it as backing so you can enjoy the full effect of the fabric.
    My opinion also. Beautiful fabric!

I would fussy cut each pattern, there seems to be a lot of repeat. Then do some type of border of each and make a wall hanging. This would be so dramatic as a wall hanging.

That's beautiful! You can send some to me. Take a look at the 9-Patch Pizzazz by Judy Sisneros. It would emphasize large cuts of the print and make use of smaller cuts as blenders. It's a really easy quilt to make.

I would pull out 4 to 5 colors from the design and make a quilt of your choice and then use this as the backing. It is a great piece of fabric and I usually don't like fabric with large designs.

Blog Entries
    Would use large pieces (fat quarter size and bigger) and border each with
    a narrow black sashing, randomly placing pieces into a long row which
    would also have black sashing length of your project. Then pick up the
    jewel tones/gold etc. and do a pieced border.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast