Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: From Don----what to do with this material

Blog Entries
    i like your idea my friend and trust you can come up with a wonderful way of using it ,it sure is a beauitful fabric i,ve never seen anything like this before, can,t wait to see what you make out of this fabric

beautiful

Dee
    I wouldn't cut up the beautiful fabric. I would just a border around and make it a whole quilt.

Oh Dear! It really is too bad that there isn't a larger "blank space" between repeats where it could be easily cut.
    As others have suggested, I also would isolate an area that would do well as a center panel. Then you could work around it building it outward with colors from the focus fabric. You would have a lot of fabric left to make more "panel" centers and even maybe some with fussy cut rectangles much as found in patterns using the rich Asian fabric.
    You might want to check Kona Bay's web site for ideas.
    http://konabay.com/mm5/complimentary...tus_Beauty.pdf

Whatever you do, don't rush into it. Give it time to settle in.
    How fortunate you are to have been given this beautiful fabric.

Will be eager to see what the final decision is.

Wow! That is some gorgeous fabric, and I can understand your reluctance to cut into it. Am anxious to hear what you do with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    That is so beautiful. I think I would either treat it like a panel & add coordinating borders, or use it as backing so you can enjoy the full effect of the fabric.
    I agree with this. I am sure it would be a beautiful pieced quilt, but I sure would hate to cut it up unless I had many more yards to use for the back.

Make a wall hanging. Cut out a panel. It is beautful. Love it.

Great Fabric, I would keep panel or do a big block quilt my sister did a quilt called BQ and the blocks were 20" see attached picture not very good color but you can get the idea,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    It is, indeed, a gorgeous fabric. When looking at the full piece laid out, the repeats of the pattern rather stick out. I would probably fussy cut those and use them in a quilt that looks like looking through windows [can't think of the name of that pattern].
    I had the same thought.

i think using it as a backing would be great

How 'bout you sandwich it and just quilt around the objects in the print?? You wouldn't have to cut it and it would call attention to the objects. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I would fussy cut each pattern, there seems to be a lot of repeat. Then do some type of border of each and make a wall hanging. This would be so dramatic as a wall hanging.
    Looks like many of the pictures fall over onto other pictures.. I'd not be able to decide what to keep and what to give up.

I really like KarenM's idea, center panel and 4 corners... beautiful... place left over in back center? beautiful material. have fun

Don't cut........just quilt it I would suggest, it is so beautiful.

Since it repeats I would cut out one full block and piece that to another coordinating fabric for the back and use the rest for stack-n-whack or OBW for the front.

I would probably just keep it forever and never cut it LOL I did buy a book called Just Can't Cut It - has some good ideas. This fabric is gorgeous!

Blog Entries
    You have so many distinctive figures and characters, there is no way you can cut it without loosing something. If it were me, I would choose an icon from the material, use the lavender shade so prominent and applique it over some of those spaces to enhance the ones around it. You didn't say how wide it is, but if is 45 inches, yes, I would cut it to be 54 inches long or if 36 cut it 45 inches long. Then make a beautiful brown border.

Please don't cut it into pieces. You will loose the intention of the designer. If applique is not your bag, Just quilt and quilt and quilt around design, until it is finished.

I bet you would get many raves over it.

I don't think this fabric should be cut, my heart won't even dare to do fussy cut because i would still lose something so IMHO i would us it for a thick border where you could see all the pics in it and just make up blocks in the middle. Also one embroidery block in the center would compliment the frame...just an idea

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Stunning border fabric!
    Agreed - you might find additional Egyptian motif fabrics on sale or clearance on line - it was the "rage" a few years ago. The larger scale (to my eye) needs to remain intact, rather than get lost in a stack and whack pattern.

Perhaps a larger-scale quilt pattern, such as Yellow Brick Road would do well to feature it, along with several complementary fabrics. Actually, a batik with a reed or basket look to it would do nicely as one such fabric.

I myself have some smaller-scale Egyptian motif fabric with cats in Cleopatra headdresses. I'll be cutting it into 2" wide strips to frame this (machine embroidered) saying: "Egyptians worhsipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Okay, I just posted, but I had another look and another thought. When you look at the first photo, your eye naturally picks out "rough" columns in the design. Why not cut the fabric into these three or so columns and leave them intact top-to-bottom, and create fill-in and side columns of simple patchwork blocks so as not to compete with the column fabric but complement it. Whatever colors you use in the fill-in and side columns' blocks will make the colors pop. Any leftover fabric could be cut into strips for binding or small blocks or block components throughout the quilt or as part of a partially pieced border.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

How about "whole cloth" and choose coordinating fabric for borders?

I love that fabric. I can totally see a OBW out of it. Beautiful colors! Enjoy!

There are quilts patterns that can really showcase beautiful prints like that. One of them is called "BQ" by Maple Island Quilts. www.mapleislandquilts.com

I would cut a section out from repeat to repeat to use as the center of the quilt. Then I would put a 2-inch black border on it and then mix the original fabric and several coordinating fabrics into nine patch pieces and use them as a second border, then another 3-inch black border. Waaaa Laaaaa - quilt.

think the pattern name is "Attic Window"... it's a neat pattern and a good idea for Don

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast