Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: From Don----what to do with this material

what about cutting strips at every repeat and then use a triagne large enough going up and down to look like a prymiad. Some great colors for the triagles would be a deep purple, black and gold. Add borders maybe in the same lpattern of the traingles. That would be the best of both worlds. It is awesome fabric.
    Robert

Blog Entries
    You could cut some of the objects and applique or broderie perse. :D

That fabric is incredible, Don! Was it made in Egypt? I'm with you, I'd hate to cut into it! Let us know what you do!

as much as I also would initially hate to cut it up - I do think you can enhance the pattern even more by focusing on each section. By breaking it up, you will bring attention to the beauty in each individual section... I think by looking at that second and third picture I can see 8 - 10 totally different scenes - all stunning. The fabric as a whole is pretty busy. If you "frame" the individual sections, like with attic window or a log cabin alternative pattern where the inside "square" is actually one photo section and use some subtle prints to frame each one. I think batiks would look great to frame them in - I would look for more subdued tones of the blue-aqua, pink, and green, possibly a gold tone. Your sections will not be the same size, but I think that will only add to the beauty of the whole quilt and the fabric itself. Find a border fabric with a scroll in it --check out Jinny Beyer's fabrics - add a floater, a narrow border, then another floater and finish with a border of that fabric - if you plan it out carefully, two yards should really be enough. Dont even start until you plan it out!! get out the graph paper or an EQ program. Good luck!! and most of all have fun doing it.

I took a class a few months ago from Sandy Turner at my guild -- she has an attic window quilt you can find at

http://www.sandyturner.com/gal0011.html

the idea is great - I've seen it where not all windows are the same size and it looks good. This particular quilt of Sandy's has one scene in the background though -- this is not the same.

I like the 2d suggestion better - the log cabin variation - I just saw it done as a jacket today when I took a class from Linda Schmidt. I went to her website ...check it out

http://home.comcast.net/~shortattn/

unfortunately - this jacket is not here. I will ask her if I can take a picture of it tomorrow as I am taking her around town for a few hours and then she is speaking at our guild. If I do get a chance to take a pic of it, I will post it with her permission.

I just checked out KSenn's suggestion... this pattern would have the same effect as the log cabin variation I suggested and remember the big block sections dont have to be the same...
    http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/quilt_gallery.html

I think that it would look lovely left in one piece. You could add several borders useing colors from the quilt. I think I would sew it by hand and highlight the main things that stand out. the most, It is simply georgous materisl.

Blog Entries
    If you could find the book 9-Patch Pizzazz by Judy Sisneros, I think you could find a layout that would work great with doing some fussy cutting, and nine patch blocks with additional fabrics that bring the whole design togeather. Would love to see your design on the site when finished!

OBWs come to mind. But I agree that having blocks to display it would be gorgeous too! Best of luck choosing the design. It'll take time but whenit's done it will look absolutely gorgeous! Best wishes.

Blog Entries
    Hi Don....glad to see you back!!!

I think I would do a Disappearing 9 Patch with really big squares, say 8". That way you would still have the Egyptian print in large chunks. You could even make the center and 4 "side" blocks smaller so that the 4 corner Egyptian blocks really would stand out.

I was thinking backing too, that way, it's all one piece, & would be like a reversible quilt...

Blog Entries
    one block wonder-if your brave enough!!!

any time spent w/Sandi is time well spent....how about Debbie Bowles BQ pattern= I've used this one for several quilts of various sizes w/favorite novelty prints- usually coffee related

I would make blocks out of it with fabric to frame them with designs and save some to use as a border. Beautiful fabric, very elegant.

OMG - ladies you HAVE to check this out!!!

If you could make something like this work for this fabric it would look phenomenal!

I belong to the QuiltShow.com and they sent an email with this mosaic floor picture on it.

http://elogedelart.canalblog.com/tag/Lod%20Mosaic

If you could find a scroll type border to set sections of the fabric off for center of the quilt it would look amazing!!

then use the "Stonehenge" fabric line from Northcott ...I dont know - maybe they even have coordinating scrolls??

You are going to have fun with that fabric, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Blog Entries
    Maybe use it as a backing and have a reversible quilt? It would be a shame to cut it up into small pieces.

Use it as backing fabric on a quilt, making it two sided.

I have this fabric and it took me ages to cut into it..I finally did a stacked coin effect..making it look like a screen..hard to explain it and I don't think I took a picture of it..it was before I got comfortable enough to show my work..I'll try to locate it through my DD..it's great fabric!!!

I'd use the stack n whack method. But I would cut the pieces in quarter triangles to make square blocks. Then I would sash it in maybe gold or green.

Don, I posted about fabric so pretty you can not bear to cut into it. THIS is one of those fabrics.

Not sure how to add photo topthis post. You might want to look at m y post tho. The 3 quilts shown are from either magazines or catalogs. But it is the IDEA you will be looking at.

Julie

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6