Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that! >

Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that!

Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I know selling some of my stuff and giving it away there is a chance that it won't get valued like the stuff I give to my mom and dad or sisters etc. Even then sometimes they forget what we put into it, and for some people it is just a way to make money so there is no value in it that way. There are some people that are a different brand and we put averything into it, even the stuff that we sell, My dad is so funny, he won't wear a sweatshirt that I made him with all the grands name and bunny picture that often as he doesn't want to wear it out as he knows just how much work I put into it. that and a quilt that I made him the grands are not allowed to touch really as he wants to keep it, it would make me a lot happier to see it used and worn, I can always make him another. But I hesitate to send some stuff to school that I do for hand outs as I am sure that a lot of them will end up in the garbage, not that a lot of them take a long time or cost much to do, it is what I put into it.

though being kept humble is a good thing, I think it keeps me real.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
The only differance between a new quilter and an old quilter is that the old quilter has learned to shut her mouth and not admit to any mistakes LOL LOL
Guess I didn't learn that one too well huh?
Perfect! I will have to write this down and learn to live it! :D (obviously I'm still a new quilter) :roll:
Old 07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by billswife99
Originally Posted by Rhonda
The only differance between a new quilter and an old quilter is that the old quilter has learned to shut her mouth and not admit to any mistakes LOL LOL
Guess I didn't learn that one too well huh?
Perfect! I will have to write this down and learn to live it! :D (obviously I'm still a new quilter) :roll:
Don't take it too seriously :mrgreen: I was only joking :mrgreen:

Seriously tho we all learn from one another and our mistakes teach as much as they hinder. Some lessons just seem harder to learn somehow!
I know I will never learn to like ripping out seams!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM

I love the pink hotpad.
I know the Mennonite's and the Amish always make sure there is a mistake in their quilts. They feel it is presumtive to make a "perfect" quilt because only God is perfect. Helps me to know they do it on purpose LOL

Yall will HATE the quilt I am working on now.....its a allmost all HST and I was stressing SO BAD about getting points to line up I said GRRRRRRRRRR( not really, well maybe a little with some other words thrown in LOL )
So now I am sewing and if they match up well hey look there...if NOT, which most arent LOL That is the way its suppose to be.
Its very hard to "let it go" but its soothing to my soul and helping me see I am not perfect and nothing I do is perfect and making me ACCEPT my imperfections.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Thanks for sharing this Rhonda! It was very helpful. I didn't look up your town, but was wondering if you were near the rest stop on I-80 that is dedicated to quilting. I haven't been there but have read about it. Pretty neat!
I had not heard of this truck stop. I am in SE Iowa but about 1 1/2 hours south of I-80. We take it to go to Des Moines. We are about 3 1/2 hours from Des Moines. Exept for the day my daughter and I got confused and drove for an hour west ( the wrong way!) I haven't really been west of Des Moines on I-80.
Where is this truck stop? Sounds interesting! My parents and i used to stop at Stuckey's when we traveled years ago but i don't travel much anymore.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Thank you so much for these words of wisdom, Rhonda :D :D :D
Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MsSage
I love the pink hotpad.
I know the Mennonite's and the Amish always make sure there is a mistake in their quilts. They feel it is presumtive to make a "perfect" quilt because only God is perfect. Helps me to know they do it on purpose LOL

Yall will HATE the quilt I am working on now.....its a allmost all HST and I was stressing SO BAD about getting points to line up I said GRRRRRRRRRR( not really, well maybe a little with some other words thrown in LOL )
So now I am sewing and if they match up well hey look there...if NOT, which most arent LOL That is the way its suppose to be.
Its very hard to "let it go" but its soothing to my soul and helping me see I am not perfect and nothing I do is perfect and making me ACCEPT my imperfections.
I still struggle with points. I don't think there is any quilter who doesn't lose points some time along the way. These things happen!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Boy, the only "mistake" I saw was that it wasn't sent to me to care for! :lol:

Tho' I'm just starting out, I've invested so much money in the tools of the trade, books, fabric, and the like, I've overwhelmed myself with the idea that it has to be just so. I love the detail of the process of sewing a pattern to perfection, but I lack the confidence that I will develop the patience to be able to do it well and it keeps me from actually following thru will all the ideas I have.

One day..............
Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Boy, the only "mistake" I saw was that it wasn't sent to me to care for! :lol:

Tho' I'm just starting out, I've invested so much money in the tools of the trade, books, fabric, and the like, I've overwhelmed myself with the idea that it has to be just so. I love the detail of the process of sewing a pattern to perfection, but I lack the confidence that I will develop the patience to be able to do it well and it keeps me from actually following thru will all the ideas I have.

One day..............
Start with something small. Not tiny small but a small piece. A table runner or a wall hanging. You can practice on just one quilt block and practice sewing just that one together and decide on a border and use it as a starting point.
Or you could do a hot pad or some other small project. I did some tutorials on small projects and there are probably more out there.
If you want any help or suggestions just let me know! I would be glad to help.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:32 PM

I try to think of them less as mistakes and more as lessons in humility. The bear paw quilt I'm finishing for my nephew is a huge lesson in humility because it is horrible with tons of mistakes. But I know that he will love it and not care that the points are chopped off. It gives me motivation to learn how to make my points sharp. (BTW -- I'd love suggestions about how to keep my points sharp).