Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that! >

Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that!

Even this quilter of 30 years makes mistakes! Imagine that!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by *QuilterWannabee*
Wow Rhonda, I really needed to hear some of the things you shared/said. Ok, I might sound like a big baby but I actually cried when I was reading it. I was trying hard to make a nice big pillowcover for my partner and I just spent twenty minutes ripping a big part of it out to start over, I was so disgusted when I saw how it came out. Had to walk away from it yesterday after I cursed a blue streak and sulked a bit. You helped me get back a better perspective.
My friend Dorothy has a solution for things that frustrate and madden you. She throws it across the floor as hard as she can! Then when she calms down she goes and picks it up and starts over!!
I generally can not stay on one project from start to finish even if it only takes a couple of hours to do. I have to stop and do something else for awhile because I get bored. I go back to it often. Do one stage and leave it for awhile and then go back and do the next stage etc. I often when faced with ripping more than a few inches leave it til the next day if i am stressing over it. I HATE :evil: :evil: :evil: to rip seams!!!!
So don't feel bad we all have those moments sometimes tons of those moments!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM

It is good to get encouragement from you Rhonda. I make mistakes and live with them, or not, if I find them soon enough! There are lots of things not worth fretting over! :lol:
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I have not been quilting as long as you by any means and I see all of my mistakes as well, some take longer to notice than other, I left one I knew about in the quilt I did for me, it was intentionally left, I figured that I am not perfect, my quilt doesn't need to be either.

I had a truly blank spot last night while quilting, I was doing a block that I had never done before, looked at the picture, naturally picked the pieces up and put them together like HST, the thing was they were not HST but QST. so there I was picking them all out, I had finished the whole line of them before I noticed, so that was done, picked them up to start putting them together again and did it exactly the same way, good thing I didn't get through the first one before knocking myself on the head. So I laughed at myself, called me a few names, and went on to do them the right way.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I have not been quilting as long as you by any means and I see all of my mistakes as well, some take longer to notice than other, I left one I knew about in the quilt I did for me, it was intentionally left, I figured that I am not perfect, my quilt doesn't need to be either.

I had a truly blank spot last night while quilting, I was doing a block that I had never done before, looked at the picture, naturally picked the pieces up and put them together like HST, the thing was they were not HST but QST. so there I was picking them all out, I had finished the whole line of them before I noticed, so that was done, picked them up to start putting them together again and did it exactly the same way, good thing I didn't get through the first one before knocking myself on the head. So I laughed at myself, called me a few names, and went on to do them the right way.
I have lots of those moments! I do alot of hot pads and I get so I do them on autopilot sometimes. I sew squares into sets of two and then sets of two into sets of four. One of the most annoying mistakes I make on a regular basis is to turn a set of four the wrong way when I sew two 4's together. I have gone as far as sewing the hotpad all the way together and start to stitchin the ditch before I see it! I could scream!!
But since it is to be sold I can't leave it and say oh well. So I pick out the finish seam that runs around the edge and then turn it wrong side out and pick out the seam or seams that hold that section together and then I have to rip out the two 4's and then usually some adjoing seams to get enough of a grip on it to work on it to fix it! Then do the process all over again to put the hotpad back together again!! VERY FRUSTRATING! and time consuming which is almost more of an issue if I am in the last hours of putting an order together. OH WELL!

Quilting can be soooooo frustrating!!! Why do we put ourselves through all this anyway?????? oh yeah to enjoy the beauty!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

The only differance between a new quilter and an old quilter is that the old quilter has learned to shut her mouth and not admit to any mistakes LOL LOL
Guess I didn't learn that one too well huh?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

But when things are going well it is very relaxing and enjoyable, i have learned to laugh at a lot of it. There is something about getting into that groove where a lot of other things disappear as well.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

oh, and I just checked, I have some of that batting as well, I even have scraps of it that are about the right size for pot holders, do I fell a project coming on?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
The only differance between a new quilter and an old quilter is that the old quilter has learned to shut her mouth and not admit to any mistakes LOL LOL
but by owning up to still making mistakes, you are making it okay for the newer kids on the block that they are not alone, that it happens. to just keep going.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I had to go back to see the oddball white triangle - couldn't spot it at first look
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cutebuns
Originally Posted by Rhonda
but by owning up to still making mistakes, you are making it okay for the newer kids on the block that they are not alone, that it happens. to just keep going.
Thanks Cute! I think the biggest thing I wanted to stress is that we all need encouragement old and new quilters.
I tell people all the time that even if I weren't selling my stuff (and it isn't selling locally real well right now due to the economy) I quilted for 20 years before i ever sold anything and i will still be quilting even if I never sold another thing in my lifetime.
I don't do what I do for the money primarily. Money is good and yes I can use it for sure! But I get a boost from my quilting that no amount of money can buy.
My mom said one time "Well you won't be able to sell your stuff so you won't need to quilt anymore" She doesn't understand!!! I quilt because it feeds my soul. I have to create so therefore I create. Where it goes is another issue entirely.
I quilt because it makes me feel good about myself in a way nothing else does. It is something I know I am good at even when everything else in my life is not so good.
So that is the reason to quilt because it says something about you and it tells a story about who you are. Not whether the quilt is perfectly done or not.
I have often thought about all those hotpads and other things I have sold over the years and I wonder where they have ended up.
I sold some in a yard sale one year and a couple of years later a friend of my moms gave her a box of junk she didn't want anymore and in the box was you guessed it one of my hotpads. The lady didnot realize what she had done and i never told her. I just brushed it off and sold it to Kalona! Quite a lesson in humility!! I thought this was a special thing selling her my hotpad and here she didn't remember I made it and she no longer valued it! Quite a come down for me!