Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: first attempt for new baby quilt

  1. #1
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    ok.... i made a practice block. I know theres at least a million mistakes and a couple of seams didnt match up.
    im hoping once its trimmed and added to more blocks the screw ups around the edges will be somewhat fixed (cant do anything about the seam in the middle though :-(
    but for a first try, i guess im a little proud :D

    materials for quilt
    Name:  Attachment-46578.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  30.7 KB

    block pattern being used
    Name:  Attachment-46579.gif
Views: 38
Size:  19.5 KB

    first block made b4 trimmed
    Name:  Attachment-46580.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  84.1 KB

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    Wow, thanks for sharing

    How did you post the block design on the board the one for your design? do you have eq?

  3. #3
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    Keep trying! You will get better the more you practice!...I still need lots of practice...

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    Practice, Practice, Practice

    did you press and set your seams and press again on the block

  5. #5
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I think it looks great. What a wonderful first try. It is fantastic. Keep it up.

  6. #6
    Marjpf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    1,915
    Great job for a first try. You will see they keep getting better with time and patience. I love your fabric selection. It will make a very pretty quilt.

  7. #7
    Super Member IrishNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    was Upstate NY, now Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    2,046
    Very nice. I think it looks great - you would never know it was your first attempt!

  8. #8
    FabricJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    looks great - you're well on your way. I'm new at this too and learned from a more accomplished quilter to be sure how I'm cutting the blocks by paying very close attention to the grain of the fabric. It makes a big difference in how the fabric stretches when sewing everything together. It works! It's going to be a lovely quilt - keep up the great work!

  9. #9
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    That is great!! Is there a quilt guild in your area? If so, you should join it!! They will help you so much, and keep you inspired.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Hey, great job..... Keep it up!

  11. #11
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    Thanx for all the encouragement :D
    I know they are a bit lame compared to sooo many pretty quilts ive seen on here, but im working on it :D
    6 blocks done with 4 put together...
    i think im going to wait til the reast of the blocks are done b4 deciding the remainder of the pattern they make :D
    i decided to just go with it... mistakes and all... lol
    Thankful that alot of them become less noticeable (except to me and most quilters) as i put it together. Shhh...Just dont tell the baby where all the screw ups and non matching seams are lol

    well... He was comfy and didnt seem to care if i wanted pics or not lol
    Name:  Attachment-48468.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  40.2 KB

    and not happy about me moving it lol
    Name:  Attachment-48469.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  42.4 KB

    weeee, finally getting somewhere :D
    Name:  Attachment-48470.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  44.6 KB

  12. #12
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,770
    Those blocks look wonderful! I love the pattern that is developing..I like the kitty too...they do like to be in the middle of what ever you are doing don't they?

    Ditter

  13. #13
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    ended up needing another yard (well honestly only NEEDED 1/4) of yellow for the top. Ended up getting the back too lol
    I keep hoping every night that ill get done with the top "tomorrow"...Im terribly impatient lol this is why im scared of bigger quilts still, i may start 1 and NEVER get it done lol...
    Life keeps getting in the way :hunf:
    i find myself sitting in the chat room here while folding laundry instead of getting as much done as i want on it . I blame too many uniforms, too many daughters, and WAY too many socks for this lifetime. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    but i am getting there :D

    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    Thanx for all the encouragement :D
    I know they are a bit lame compared to sooo many pretty quilts ive seen on here, but im working on it :D
    6 blocks done with 4 put together...
    i think im going to wait til the reast of the blocks are done b4 deciding the remainder of the pattern they make :D
    i decided to just go with it... mistakes and all... lol
    Thankful that alot of them become less noticeable (except to me and most quilters) as i put it together. Shhh...Just dont tell the baby where all the screw ups and non matching seams are lol
    backing
    Name:  Attachment-52909.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  48.3 KB

    I think Ill use some for pieces in the border too :D
    Name:  Attachment-53204.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  44.2 KB

  14. #14
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    You're doing a great job and your quilt inspector loves it too!

  15. #15
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,759
    I have 4 of those fabrics in my stash, how neat.

  16. #16
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    ended up needing another yard (well honestly only NEEDED 1/4) of yellow for the top. Ended up getting the back too lol
    I keep hoping every night that ill get done with the top "tomorrow"...Im terribly impatient lol this is why im scared of bigger quilts still, i may start 1 and NEVER get it done lol...
    Life keeps getting in the way :hunf:
    i find myself sitting in the chat room here while folding laundry instead of getting as much done as i want on it . I blame too many uniforms, too many daughters, and WAY too many socks for this lifetime. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    but i am getting there :D

    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    Thanx for all the encouragement :D
    I know they are a bit lame compared to sooo many pretty quilts ive seen on here, but im working on it :D
    6 blocks done with 4 put together...
    i think im going to wait til the reast of the blocks are done b4 deciding the remainder of the pattern they make :D
    i decided to just go with it... mistakes and all... lol
    Thankful that alot of them become less noticeable (except to me and most quilters) as i put it together. Shhh...Just dont tell the baby where all the screw ups and non matching seams are lol
    center row :D unironed and untrimmed... but its getting there :D
    Name:  Attachment-56787.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  40.6 KB

  17. #17
    Senior Member katei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Belfast, N Ireland
    Posts
    342
    Good for you. Your first quilt will always be your favourite one. Well done - I think you've been very adventurous for your first attempt.

  18. #18
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    Finally got the top all pieced and put together :D
    worked hard almost all day to get it done, worn out and sore :D but im relieved :D

    and i know... crappy pics lol... sorry.. ill try to figure out a better way to take them :D

    and got a few materials to start a quilt for DD :D

    hasnt had final ironing of top but... Yayyyy, tops been pieced and done
    Name:  Attachment-62267.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  39.6 KB

    just having DD hold it up and as still as she can possibly be lol... bad lighting.
    Name:  Attachment-62273.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  47.4 KB

    Fabric i bought tonight for the start of 13 yr old DDs quilt :D
    Name:  Attachment-62274.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  40.6 KB

  19. #19
    Senior Member quiltlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sleepless South of Seattle
    Posts
    386
    Your colors really came together well. Good job. Are you going to quilt or tie it?

  20. #20
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady
    Your colors really came together well. Good job. Are you going to quilt or tie it?
    Im going to quilt it... not quite sure whether i will machine or hand but leaning more towards machine... hand takes forever for me lol

  21. #21
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    what beautiful work, It came out great.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.