Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Freehand fmq feathers - great method!

You sure surprised me ~ thought they were hand quilted! They look fabulous! Great job!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

That looks fantastic. I need to look up this book and try it out! Was it done on a regular machine? (not a longarm?)

Your runner was really pretty before you did the feathers. Now it is awesome!

Very nice. Quilting sure made a big difference.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

Wow, I will need to find that book. I wonder if Joanns has it so I can use my coupon?

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I love your table runner, the pattern, your fabric choices, and your quilting.

Have you been doing FMQ for some time now, or is this your first experience? If you are a beginner, then I need to run out and purchase this book. I would really like to be able to do FMQ like this. I'm scared to death of FMQ.
    Not a long time, less than a year, mainly meander, although I have done some fmq work in borders like flower shapes, spirals & feathers. But I can now see how I could do all over and make it interesting and look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Debka
    That looks fantastic. I need to look up this book and try it out! Was it done on a regular machine? (not a longarm?)
    I have a J.6600P

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    I love your table runner, the pattern, your fabric choices, and your quilting.

Have you been doing FMQ for some time now, or is this your first experience? If you are a beginner, then I need to run out and purchase this book. I would really like to be able to do FMQ like this. I'm scared to death of FMQ.
    Not a long time, less than a year, mainly meander, although I have done some fmq work in borders like flower shapes, spirals & feathers. But I can now see how I could do all over and make it interesting and look very good.
    Show us some more, since I need a new book like I need a hole in the head! LOL ... although, I may have to add just ONE MORE:roll:

Can't show you how exactly Omak (copyright), but have a look at this from Sally Terry's website, about the book and if you scroll down there is a sketch from the book.

http://www.sallyterry.com/utility/sh.../?objectID=495

I also have a worryingly increasing bookshelf - but I think this one is a good addition if you want to improve and expand feather designs.

Can't show you how exactly Omak (copyright), but have a look at this from Sally Terry's website, about the book and if you scroll down there is a sketch from the book.

I also have a worryingly increasing bookshelf - but I think this one is a good addition if you want to improve and expand feather designs.
    I went to her website and will have to think about it ... she has a lot to offer ... I didn't want you to show us how, though, I just wanted to see another picture of your work ... I may be a bit obtuse, but I didn't think it would violate the copyright thing, but maybe, so I will just have to think about the book. Thank you for the link

Quote Originally Posted by omak

I went to her website and will have to think about it ... she has a lot to offer ... I didn't want you to show us how, though, I just wanted to see another picture of your work ... I may be a bit obtuse, but I didn't think it would violate the copyright thing, but maybe, so I will just have to think about the book. Thank you for the link
    Sorry then Omak I misunderstood. I havent finished anymore of this method yet, but started on another small item yesterday evening, I show you when I've done it. I'm using these small things to work myself up embarking on a larger job!

I have been looking at some of your other threads. You do GREAT things with your quilting ... Thank you so much for sharing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Hi,

Wow, I will need to find that book. I wonder if Joanns has it so I can use my coupon?

Karen
    I got mine at my local Joann's. Ended up around $15.

Nice job on the feathers. Very nice. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

Your feathers are beautiful! Is this your first try? Incredible.

Blog Entries
    Now that's a finishing touch if I ever saw one. I love those center squares.

That looks great!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    :shock: :shock: Wow....what a dramatic difference! At first it looked very pretty...now it is stunning! Great job! I'm gonna have to order that book!
    Stunning is the word.

I just got back from a week away - ( in a warmer place), so just got back to my computer. I'm so glad you like this method of making feathers, as much as me, it seems. Look at how creative you got. You were lucky to have a runner, on hand, that needed some more stitching to show it off properly and didn't have to make something new before trying out this method. Grin!

really like what you have done ... especially the idea of using a line on the block for the "stem" ... makes life easier, since I tend to do feathers in one direction better than another.
    Oh I'm like that Omak - I find going in the left direction harder than going to the right! I had to get the brain around doing these in a different way to the feathers I've done before, but sorted that out although I used tons of paper practising!
    Remember I mentioned you'd propbably find it easier to go one direction vs another. Isn't that goofy how our brains work? Maybe you could try turning your quilt around and going the other direction too - whatever works is the main thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    really like what you have done ... especially the idea of using a line on the block for the "stem" ... makes life easier, since I tend to do feathers in one direction better than another.
    Oh I'm like that Omak - I find going in the left direction harder than going to the right! I had to get the brain around doing these in a different way to the feathers I've done before, but sorted that out although I used tons of paper practising!
    Remember I mentioned you'd propbably find it easier to go one direction vs another. Isn't that goofy how our brains work? Maybe you could try turning your quilt around and going the other direction too - whatever works is the main thing.
    Ah but I've been practising on another unquilted item - and now I'm going right to left as well! Did this yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Beautiful!
    ABSOLUTELY!

Ta, Sandpat and Omak - there's a great danger here if it's not being worn it will get feathered!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast