Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Granddaughter's quilt .... gone but not forgotten >

Granddaughter's quilt .... gone but not forgotten

Granddaughter's quilt .... gone but not forgotten

Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Maybe the step sisters were jealous but they should have known better than destroying what wasn't theirs.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

What a sad story. The quilt is beautiful and I'm sure she will cherish the new one.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM

such a sad story,but everything always works out,sometimes for the better. step-sister has issues, but that is not unusal in blended families. When my dd was small, at bedtime we would look up at the moon and say

"I see the moon-the moon sees me- God bless the Moon and God bless me"
The night when her daddy died ,she said to the moon , God bless my daddy,because I know that daddy is looking at the moon with me.
She would love to have a quilt like the one you made.
I hope I'm a sweet grandma,as you are
Old 01-10-2010, 09:38 AM

I finished Maggie's quilt in April, 2005. She had just turned 3 years old. She will be 8 this month. Her twin sisters will be 5 and my daughter's set of twins will be 4 in February.
Fran, I will be posting the new quilt along with the lost one for sure. Now it is just getting time together to put plan and sew it with all my grandchildren. I watch 2 to 5 a day. LOL. Those babies are so precious to me ss you who are mothers and grandmothers know. Life has been good to me through all the struggles. It has made me a stronger person.
kwhite, I most certainly agree. Another quilt can be made. Maggie was my firstborn grandchild. We have a bond that can never be broken.
After almost a week of tears, thinking about what Maggie had gone through, watching her quilt burn on a fire...I came to realize that some are cruel and emotionless about other's feelings.
On the bright side...it is getting Maggie another quilt made. I am so glad that this site is here. It has helped me so much with my quilting. I am just so thankful that there aare other quilters out there who just know how much 'love' aand time goes into a quilt.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
JJs
Banned

well, at least it was 'just' the quilt...

my grandmother's mother (my gr-grandmother) married a man with children when my grandmother was 4 - HER stepsister shoved her into the fireplace saying, "I don't want a younger sister"

their relationship went downhill from there....
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM

ProudGranny, reading this really hit home with me and made me hurt for you. My grandkids spend halftime with their Mom and half with my son. It is a constant struggle making sure things I get for them stay at my sons' because I know they will be lost if they go to their Mom's. I can't tell you how many cute outfits I've bought for my granddaughter and never seen her wear them because they end up at her mom's. Their mother is not mean by any stretch but she just doesn't think.

I cross-stitched a Christmas stocking for my grandson the year he was born, and it took me ALL year to do it. That stocking has disappeared because they always spend Christmas morning with their mom. I was just sick about it for a few weeks but I've told myself it's just a stocking.

Apparently, this is a common problem for us grandma's who have grandkids that spend time in two homes. Ah, well, as with you, my grandkids and I do have that special bond that can't be broken. That is so much more important.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Awwww what a sad story, but with a very happy ending!!!
Ths is a beautiful quilt :D:D:D
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Lovely to chat with you on the the board today. Maggies quilt is beautiful and I am sure the next quilt will be just gorgeous as well. Just remember what goes around comes around.
Cheers Jackie.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I half way didn't want to read this. I am glad it was the quilt that had been burned. I was thinking something else. Though we put our hearts and souls into making them, they are after all "just things" and the people in our lives are so much more valuable. You are a Great Gramma.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 PM

I second the vote for Grandmom of the year!