Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Grandmas quilt >

Grandmas quilt

Grandmas quilt

Old 05-07-2008, 03:16 AM

I found almost the same quilt in my Mom's stuff, though I am pretty sure that my Dad's Mom made the quilt. Neither are here to confirm. When my Mom died, the only thing my brother wanted was her diamond rings!!!!

Your quilt is beautiful and I am sure you will cherish it forever.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:41 AM

I have always loved that pattern. What a neat gift she left behind for you. Not only do you get to enjoy, the quilt she started but you get to "work on a quilt together". With wonderful quilting ability you have I cant wait to see the finished product!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Izy

Your grandmothers quilt is beautiful.....I hope you finish it and enjoy using it in her memory :D
Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Banned

There's a new small quilt shop about 45/50 miles from here in another small town. We;ve been over there twice..
Anyway, the first time one of the owners showed us all around the shop and in a pile I saw a BEAUTIFUL dahlia top - this thing is gorgeous - all done by hand and the edges were done in grandmother's fan, just an all around impressive job.
As I was exclaiming over it and admiring it, the owner started telling us the tale:
It seems this old lady passed away leaving several unquilted tops, plus a comforter, and completed diamond star (like the Texas star only very small diamonds)..
When the adult children came upon the quilts and quilt tops as they were cleaning out their mother's home, they decided they had no use for these things. They went to the new shop owner and asked her did she want these quilts and tops, because otherwise they were just going to throw them on the burn pile because 'we all use blankets now'.....

I think that's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.
I myself have quilts I put together from blocks I've gotten at garage sales, and we've all seen quilts at the Goodwill or Salvation Army (altho I think the people who work there snatch most of those up).
I have a flower garden quilt from just such a thing - bought a box of stuff at a garage sale and there's all these 'flowers' in there. I knew I would never ever have the patience to finish the top as it should be so I appliqued the flowers onto squares and made the quilt that way. This was almost 30 years ago - if I had it to do over again I would have used larger squares..
But as I worked on those various quilts I just knew that these women were appreciating my finishing the job so to speak.

I've made my oldest daughter PROMISE that she will finish any quilt tops I leave behind and that she will not just toss out my 'stash' :shock:
Fortunately, she is very much a quilter and her youngest daughter (my youngest grand-daughter) is also an up and coming quilter.
I've made her promise about all my machines too! :wink:
Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 AM

That is a treasure to behold. I know why you take it out and just stare at it. Beautiful and years of work.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

You have a real treasure there :D :D
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 AM

I cannot comprehend heirs that are so thoughtless and uncaring that they would throw out the handiwork of their mother/grandmother! BUT, their lack of caring makes for thrills for us when we find treasures at a sale or auction!

I recently bought these two tops at auction - all hand pieced and embellished - just waiting to be quilted! The Sunbonnet kids has two bad spots so I got it for only $15, the other one is perfect and I got it for $40 - needless to say, I was thrilled!

At the same auction the next week, I got two boxes of quilt pieces, all neatly cut and stored in ziploc bags for $5. I suspect they may have come from the same home.

Sara

Look at the embellishments!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9259[/ATTACH]

Queen size, too!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9323[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9259.jpe   attachment-9323.jpe   attachment-47909.jpe  
Old 05-07-2008, 01:19 PM

How lucky you are to have this from your grandmother. It is truly beautiful. I am sure it has lots of history and I hope you add your own history by finishing the top. Be sure to add a label with your grandmothers information & of course yours when you are done. I have one I started a few years ago. Here are a couple of pictures of mine.....in progress!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47560.jpe   attachment-47822.jpe  
Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM

What a fabulous treasure! It looks huge...you have to finish it and make sure you document on the back that your grandmother started it, you found it after she passed at 92, and finished it.

I am giddy w/ excitement--what a find and what great family history to keep and pass on.
Julie
Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Jayne,
I love the variation in the large flowers and the small flowers. Looks beautiful. I have about 15 blocks all made by hand in a box. I wish I had more time to just sit and quilt. Unfortunately, I have no other quilters or interested quilters in my family. I thought there for a spell my eldest son might take to it but after 1 summer, he discovered baseball meant girls..........eeegads.....
GOOD WORK! Can't wait to see it all finished.
Julie