Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Grandmas quilt >

Grandmas quilt

Grandmas quilt

Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM

That is too cute!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 PM

His great grandma was an awesome quilter! I never met her I believe she died in 1972(?) but the college in Enid ( It was Phillips university of Arts at that time) did a documentary on her and her quilts (we have it on tape) She was known as "the Quilt Lady". She did some of the most amazing quilts!!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Ohhh that is awesome!! How great is it that he's kept it all these years!! Its a special man that sees the love in a hand made quilt to be sure!!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 AM

Can't believe my eyes.....How awesome...You do own a real tresure.... :D
Old 05-10-2008, 06:45 PM

[b][b]I found a few of those flowers last year in a move., I had started cutting and sewing them when my youngest daughter was about 4. They had been in a closed plastic box for ohhhhh well the girls are going to be 30 and 32 this summer. Anyway, the box didn't have a tight seal and they got moldy. Very sad, they were made from the girls baby dresses. It was my intent to continue useing their clothes to finsih it but now I just cry every time I see those spots on them. I tried every thing including oxy clean... but I can't make myself throw em away even tho I'll never finsih them. :roll:
I'd be homicidal if someone who couldn't finsish a project that knew I could got rid of it or passed me over :evil: :twisted: :!:
Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM

My Grandmothers nor my Mother quilted. I just got interested cause I do a lot of crafty stuff. I do have a quilt that my Dad's mother gave me many many years ago. She didn't make it but HER mother did. Grandma worked at a pajama factory when she was a young girl and saved pieces of the satin fabric that she cut into squares and made a slip cover to put on a quilt that she was given by her mother. She then gave both to me. I put the slip on the quilt but because of the age of both the feathers (yes feathers!) started coming through the satin covering. I used cotton fabrics and just sewed patches on where the small holes were forming. I have it stored because it is too hot to sleep under but GREAT when you have a chill you can't shake! :) Telling you guys about it makes me want to dig it out and do something with it now. It wasn't quilted or tied or anything so I might just do some quilting on it to keep it in tack. I wouldn't part with it for the world and I hope when I go one of my kids will keep it. Maybe it will remind them of a time when there was only fireplaces instead of central heating. :lol: :lol:
Old 05-12-2008, 03:01 PM

That is absolutely gorgeous and what a treasure.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM

I have been looking at all the beautiful quilts and quilt tops. What treasures they all are.

Jaynie, I am in the process of doing a GFG also, and am putting it together in the same manner that you are. Mine is not as far along as your's, but I am getting there. I do have all the blocks made ( I think!) Are you doing the English Paper Piecing? I did a GFG many years ago, just hand piecing the hex's together. It was not very accurate. It was my very 1st quilt, and I still have it. I get it out from time to time, but am too embarassed to let anyone see it :) English Paper piecing is the way to go I think!

Humbird
Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 PM

When I did my GFG I did the English paper piecing with freezer paper! I cut the hexes out and ironed them on the back of the fabric and then cut them out. It is so easy that way and the paper is stiff enough to iron the seams over it. Besides you can use the pieces over and over again as you go along.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 PM

humbird,
yes I am doing the english paper piecing. It is the best....I can't imagine doing it without the papers, like our grandmothers. I have such admiration for those women that made such beautiful quilts..way back before all the modern conveniences and helpful gadgets & techniques.