Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric >

A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

Old 02-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Well, since she put it that way..."butchered pandas"..it kinda put me off on the idea, so I'm glad they don't have to be sacrificed!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Kind of scared you huh?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM

I received my fabric from GaiGai today and it is gorgeous! I am going to work hard to finish my WIP (memorial tee shirt quilt) so I can fully focus on my first OBW. I am a little nervous about it. I will get the 60 degree ruler K suggested. I am sure I will have many questions for you all!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, since she put it that way..."butchered pandas"..it kinda put me off on the idea, so I'm glad they don't have to be sacrificed!
I do have a way with words, don't I? heehee
Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by wildyard
Awww, I hope you are better soon!! Lots of fluids!!!
I didn't realize you need a special ruler for these? I made one before and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a special ruler for it. Does the special ruler just make it easier or something, or is it a must have?
OK, I just checked, and my regular ruler does have 45 degree markings on it, so I'm good to go. I was thinking I'd need a special 45 degree ruler, and you've saved me some money. Thanks!

Thanky Wildyard, I'm pushing the fluids as fast as I can. Now it's just tincture of time.
The four scariest words in our house:
I have been thinking ...
Are you sure that the angle you want on your octagonal OBW is a HST? (45 degrees)?
I remember seeing somewhere that in order to turn an octagonal block into a square, you put triangles on four corners .. if you make a HST, you don't need triangles on four corners to make it square - - it will, by design be square with 45 degrees ...
maybe dh can help me figure out the degrees on the kalaidescope ruler I have ...
I have been thinking .... what do y'all think? <wave>
Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omak
The four scariest words in our house:I have been thinking ...
Are you sure that the angle you want on your octagonal OBW is a HST? (45 degrees)?
I remember seeing somewhere that in order to turn an octagonal block into a square, you put triangles on four corners .. if you make a HST, you don't need triangles on four corners to make it square - - it will, by design be square with 45 degrees ...
maybe dh can help me figure out the degrees on the kalaidescope ruler I have ...
I have been thinking .... what do y'all think? <wave>

Well, let's figure this out. A circle is 360 degrees. Divided by 8, you get 45. So each triangle will be 45 degrees. Now a HST is a right angle triangle, which is a 90 degree angle. Yes, two of the angles are 45 degrees, but the other is a 90 degree angle.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

So...just to be clear...you are talking about making the octagon with the 45 degree marks, right?????? The regular hex tris would be different
Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 AM
k3n
Power Poster

You can't use the 45 deg line on your ruler - it won't work as it's an isoceles triangle NOT an HST like Omak said. In the first book is a template you can trace onto plastic. I used the Marti Mitchell Kaleidoscope Ruler as I had it and it does make it easier. I can change the block size easily too if I like. Maybe trace off the template for the first one to see if you like the process before investing in the ruler? Though I think it's worth having anyway as you can also make blocks such as crossed canoes with it.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

So...just to be clear...you are talking about making the octagon with the 45 degree marks, right?????? The regular hex tris would be different
The regular Hexs are 60 degree equilateral triangles cut from strips and can be turned any which way. The Octos are obtuse triangles with one 45 degree angle cut from parallelograms and can only be placed one way.

OMG, I can't believe I remember that much of my high-school math! ROFLMAO

Edited, to agree with K3n. You make a parallelogram and then cut the tris.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gaigai
That is correct. The regular Hexs are 60 degree equilateral triangles cut from strips and can be turned any which way. The Octos are obtuse triangles with one 45 degree angle cut from parallelograms and can only be placed one way.

OMG, I can't believe I remember that much of my high-school math! ROFLMAO
Me either! FINALLY it's useful! :lol: :mrgreen: