Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ha Ha ....my messy sewing/dining room >

Ha Ha ....my messy sewing/dining room

Ha Ha ....my messy sewing/dining room

Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 AM

LOL I am sewing in my Kitchen on the Table i have a small apartment, i was going to use my daughters room into a computer/sewing room since she was in college and change her bed into a Twin. I been sick and not she home for the summer. Did not happen this time but it is coming
Old 06-26-2009, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Your sewing/dining room looks just like mine used to...I sewed that way for at least 20 years. Now that our son has moved out, I have taken over his room upstairs....have had it over a year now and I can't sew in it at all!!!! I am not kidding...it seems so far away from the rest of the house. So, now that both college daughters have moved home for the summer, my sewing room has become a big catch-all room...can't even get to my sewing machine. It is absolutely embarassing/discouraging. The most memorable times in my dining/sewing room were the 4H years...one girl would be doing pinning/etc. and the other would be yanking thread off the machine in order to rethread it for her project. Amazing how they both managed to end up with champions...they easily could have messed up their projects! It is funny now...was frustrating back then.
what great memories!! most of my kid stories seem to be about telling them to get away from my stuff. For some reason, the sissors and my fabric seem to be way too tempting for my kids!!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:45 AM

My dinning room IS my sewing room...okay..I did put the table in storage and the dinning cabinets were emptied and now have my fabric it them. Since there is just the two of us and a very small house, this is the only place I could have. Company eats off TV trays ( we don;t entertain, only parents over to eat on Sundays) I do miss the sewing room I once had, but our oldest son had to move back home and so it went back to a real bedroom. My husband has his office in the other, so this was the only place left for me. I like having my machines set up and ready to go when I get inspired. The downfall is I can't shut the door to hide the mess. Our backdoor opens off the dinning room so it is pretty much open to for everyone to see. But I still feel blessed to have my little space.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:30 AM

Mine used to look similar to that, so dh built me a sewing studio.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
I'm getting so jealous of these lovely sewinig rooms. Just for fun, I thought I'd show ya'll what I'm working with in my dining room. I'm constantly moving piles. I have fabric in several closets, but this is my day-to-day work space. Enjoy...anybody else have a setup like this???
I'm sitting here staring at your lovely space and thinking: DO YOU NEED A DINING ROOM? I think you should take all of those lovely things from the china cabinet and replace it with your lovely stash (all folded neat :lol: ) and rearrange the furniture to make yourself a great sewing room. You have just the space for it. Life is so short. Just figure how much time is spent in the dining room dining. And how much time is spent in the dining room (and other places in the house) sewing. I'd bet the sewing is the winner. Make yourself comfortable and set up a lovely studio. Everyone will think you're a genius!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
I'm getting so jealous of these lovely sewinig rooms. Just for fun, I thought I'd show ya'll what I'm working with in my dining room. I'm constantly moving piles. I have fabric in several closets, but this is my day-to-day work space. Enjoy...anybody else have a setup like this???
I'm sitting here staring at your lovely space and thinking: DO YOU NEED A DINING ROOM? I think you should take all of those lovely things from the china cabinet and replace it with your lovely stash (all folded neat :lol: ) and rearrange the furniture to make yourself a great sewing room. You have just the space for it. Life is so short. Just figure how much time is spent in the dining room dining. And how much time is spent in the dining room (and other places in the house) sewing. I'd bet the sewing is the winner. Make yourself comfortable and set up a lovely studio. Everyone will think you're a genius!
I TOTALLY agree. It's a matter of talking my husband into it!!!! That particular cabinet was his grandfather's and he's really into all the "stuff" as that's how his grandmother kept it. but, that room would be a fantastic sewing room. Just the right amount of light, good space and everything. I'll have to work on giving him incentives :twisted: to think my way...
Old 06-27-2009, 05:15 AM

Also, I cleaned it up yesterday. DH and kids went camping (I'm taking a class for work this weekend) and took the camera. I'll take new pix and show you. I actually cleaned out a cabinet and moved my fabric in there. Looks okay now...still want my own room though.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 AM

My sewing room was my dining room for many years. My husband would groan when I'd pull out the sewing machine and lengthen the table because he knew we'd be looking at a mess for months (hey, I'm not a fast worker, especially working full time). So, when my son moved out I did a head dive into his room to claim it. I posted pictures of my sewing room yesterday, but what I didn't show was what is under my drafting table. You sure can get a lot of crap under one of those guys! :lol: :lol:

It's nice to have cabinets to be able to put stuff into. I use an old dresser, and a closet, AND a bookshelf. I may have a lot of stash! :roll:

Stuff I have shoved under the table because I ran out of room. As I've said before, when I grow up I want to be organized.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38655[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-38655.jpe  
Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Also, I cleaned it up yesterday. DH and kids went camping (I'm taking a class for work this weekend) and took the camera. I'll take new pix and show you. I actually cleaned out a cabinet and moved my fabric in there. Looks okay now...still want my own room though.
OK, I've got a sneaky idea (one that I would use myself). Take the nice things that are in the cabinet and "rearrange" them just a little to make space for just a little of your stash -- says perhaps a few fat quarters. Then say "I didnt think _____ would mind if I borrowed a little of his space to store some of these pretty things that I love so much." Work on it a little at a time, until it's his idea to put the things elsewhere so you can use the cabinet for more practical things. You're right, it's got to be his idea. Good luck. :lol:
Old 06-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
OK, I've got a sneaky idea (one that I would use myself). Take the nice things that are in the cabinet and "rearrange" them just a little to make space for just a little of your stash -- says perhaps a few fat quarters. Then say "I didnt think _____ would mind if I borrowed a little of his space to store some of these pretty things that I love so much." Work on it a little at a time, until it's his idea to put the things elsewhere so you can use the cabinet for more practical things. You're right, it's got to be his idea. Good luck. :lol:
Oh Gail... you are so devious! LOL :roll: