Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ha Ha ....my messy sewing/dining room >

Ha Ha ....my messy sewing/dining room

Ha Ha ....my messy sewing/dining room

Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM

I'm glad I have my own room, or mine might look like that.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:44 AM

My "sewing room" is also in my dining room. The table is always graced with a cutting board and/or small ironing board. Fortunately I have my mom's old sewing table in the corner so I don't have to move the machine any more, but I always have piles of fabric to move!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 AM

I do the same thing but every single night before the man got home I put everything back in a nice spot in the closet. Pain in the rear. I dream of a sewing room.. that is my real life fantasy. A room for sewing and painting.. ah... heck with lotto, just a simple sewing room..
Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 AM

As long as you can quilt in there so the rest doesn't really matter ....
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 AM

I live alone in a 4-bedroom house and it's still not big enough! Here's how it breaks down:

Formal living room - kept clean in case someone comes over. Since it has the best light, used to check colors (i.e. is that thread black or navy???)

Dining room - only clean flat surface in the house, so kept clean for emergencies (like eating)

Kitchen - Island is the perfect height for cutting, so I keep a large mat nearby with rulers and a basket of cutters, etc. Kitchen table is where I keep a machine for quilting, since it has the table to support the weight of the quilt.

Family room - I have to clean this room anytime I need to lay out a quilt to be basted, which I do in the middle of the floor. This spot gets vacuumed occasionally for this reason.

Bedroom #1 - Officially referred to as "the guest room", this is where I keep my bins of yarn and knitting supplies and pictures that I'm someday going to put into a scrapbook.

Bedroom #2 - Officially referred to as "the library", this is where I keep my quilt books and magazines, along with gift wrap supplies and grandkids' toys.

Bedroom #3 - Officially referred to as "the sewing room", this is where I store my cotton fabric, projects bins, thread, ironing board, tools, scrapbooking supplies I'm going to use one day and miscellaneous. The cutting table is where I stack current projects, so finding something is like an archeological dig: the depth of things indicates the age of the project. I also have my serger set up here, along with the other sewing machine, for quick fixes.

Bedroom #4 - Known as the "master bedroom" or "my bedroom", this is where I keep my quilts, the fabric that is not cotton, my computer and printer, oh yes and my bed. Master bathroom has walk-in closet, where I keep all personal effects such as clothing, jewelry, and where I stash my quilt guild Secret Pal gifts.

Moral of the story: quilting stuff expands to fit the space available!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Marshame,
I thought I was the only one. Live alone, 4 bedroom house, keep living room neat, sew on the kitchen table so I can be near the tv, etc. I can't hear the doorbell upstairs.
I use dining room table as a desk so it has papers on it.

I use cardboard boxes/trays from the supermarket to hold fabric and pieces for each quilt that I am working on. When the stock boy at the market opens a case of mayo or whatever; he cuts it down to about 2 inches tall - perfect tray. I can slide these under chairs.
quilter68
Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 AM

You guys just don't have your priorities in order. I got back into quilting in August and yes, took over the dining room table.

Hated cleaning up after a few days so made a decision. We have no kids and 3 bedrooms- ours, the bird room and the guest room with bath. I gave all the bedroom furniture to my Mom's neighbor and moved in. Anyone that comes visiting has no choice but to stay at Mom's now. I could live in that room and never come out!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM

I have made some big changes since my original post. I moved the dining room table into the living room, took out the living room furniture (small amount) and moved it into the family room. My dining room is also now my full time sewing room. My DH was very resistant, but now he's happy with it. Thinks the dining room table looks pretty where it is!