Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: hand quilting ideas for this quilt?

This was the first "real" quilt I started. The only problem was that my mom wouldn't let me buy any batting or backing for it at the time. But now that I have a job, I'll be saving a little each week until I have enough to buy enough material and batting. I'm thinking about going with mountain mist fatt batt, but I don't know how easy that will be to quilt. The plan is to make it a comforter so there won't be any binding on it.

I've been thinking of sewing around the center diamond and the inside of the light blue strips that go around them. And if I have enough ambition and my hands don't hurt too bad, maybe a little diamond in the pink squares.

Also, does anyone have a name for it? I can't think of anything and the magazine called it 'Jonathan's Choice' but I'm not Jonathan, it's not for a Jonathan, and I don't want to call it Sarah's Choice.

Thank for the help I'm relatively new at quilting!!

the whole quilt
    Name:  Attachment-215983.jpe
Views: 320
Size:  76.1 KB

one small block
    Name:  Attachment-215984.jpe
Views: 521
Size:  70.7 KB

very pretty, that will take a lot of hand quilting a big project for your first.... I used to hand quilt years ago... now I send to a machine quilter.

Beautiful quilt. I'm not sure about using a fat batt. That's pretty hard to quilt through unless you do a Big Stitch. But I really like the colors and pattern. Good job.

thank you! and I've hand quilted a sofa quilt before only because we ran out of needles when I broke the last one, but I rather enjoy it because I can sit downstairs with my family instead of upstairs in my room/mom's sewing room.

and as it was my first time using a machine, there are some not so great looking squares, but they're on the bottom and sides and the best blocks are along the top and in the center

The quilt is supposed to be a twin comforter, but I found that it dragged on the floor, so it's now a full sized quilt instead

You have a great idea already. You could put just about anything in the "on-points", feathered scrolls, hearts, but diamonds certainly compliment your piecing. Love your design and colors.

saf
    What a pretty quilt. Well done. As a newbie I found it much easier to handquilt the thinner cotton battings but the more expert members may give you different advice.

That is going to be a beautiful quilt! Good job!

Blog Entries
    very pretty quilt..you are truly talented

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the board. As Grammashel said, Fat Bat is really not the best batting for hand quilting. That type batting is more suitable for tying the quilt which will also look lovely as well on your pretty quilt. You could tie it with a mix of blue and pink embroidery floss.

I think what you first need to do is decide on your quilting so you can guage how far apart your quilting is going to be and base your batting selection on that. All batting states on the packaging how close your quilting must be for that particular batting. I find polyester battings are the easiest to needle but have also handquilted 80/20 blends quite successfully. Wool is supposed to be the best for handquilting but it is very expensive. I myself have never splurged on a wool batting.

As far as brand is concerned, My experience with Mountain Mist polyester batting has not been great. The fat bat is fine but the lower lofts tend to be a bit inconsistant in thickness and pull apart very easily they are easy to quilt but fragile and I have had the batting come apart near the outer edges of a quilt in the sandwiching process or just from handling the quilt in the quilting process, very disappointing. Fairfield is a bit better but when it comes to polyester bats I really, really like Quilter's Dream or Hobbs. These bats are more expensive than Mountain Mist and Fairfield and I have never seen them at big chains like JoAnne's or Walmart. So you may have to go to a quilt shop or buy them on line.

As far as quilting ideas, the sky is the limit and what you feel comfortable doing. I would do small feather wreaths or a flower in the center diamond if this was mine. Then echo stitch 1/4" away from seam lines on the other pieced elements like the triangles that form the points of your stars. In the blue sashing I would quilt a leaf and vine or a cable design. You could go to your local library and see if there are any quilting books that give patterns so you can trace them to mark your quilt top. Please make sure to post pictures as your progress.

I actually miss seeing some quilts tied. This would be great quilted but also tied

thank you for all the help and advice! I wanted to use fatt batt because I wanted this to be more like a comforter, you know, poofy, but if it's going to be hard to quilt then I'm not so sure.

I've heard of tying a quilt, but don't know what it is. Could someone explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahrachel
    thank you for all the help and advice! I wanted to use fatt batt because I wanted this to be more like a comforter, you know, poofy, but if it's going to be hard to quilt then I'm not so sure.

I've heard of tying a quilt, but don't know what it is. Could someone explain please?
    Here is a great step by step tutorial from connecting threads

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...orial__D7.html

You simply tie knots at intervals 3" apart or so. Many times you can use your piecing as a guide. Tie in the corners of squares, where seams intersect in the middle of a square, whatever you think looks nice as long as you don't tie further apart than your batting package states. You can use yarn, perle cotton or two or three strands of embroidery floss. Be aware some yarns are not good for tying because they tend to come unknotted.

Here is a good blogpost on utility quilting like big stitch, tying, mennonite tack (also known as turkey tracks and crows footing)

http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blog...r-ways-of.html

Here is a tutorial on that:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26051-1.htm

Oh...so pretty..I absolutely love the design and colors...
    I would go here....

http://quiltingstencils.com/

and check out the stencils they offer...they have the list in themes, sizes, etc..some are even continuous for hand or machine...I will be ordering a 14 in block stencil for my hand quilting. I love hand quilting because I can watch movies or listen to audio books while I stitch, very relaxing to me.
    With the stencils, I use a disappearing pen or I use my chalk pouncer..both work well. I have not had any problems with the ink reappearing, so am happy with that.
    Good luck on your project. Would love to see it when done.
    Here is a picture of my first quilt and hand quilting. Hugs, Dee

Disappearing Nine Patch
    Name:  Attachment-215993.jpe
Views: 77
Size:  101.6 KB

Close up of hand quilting
    Name:  Attachment-215994.jpe
Views: 53
Size:  60.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Just gonna say hi and love your quilt. Great advice above!!!

that's such a beautiful quilt okidee! Much better than my first quilt! I think I might have to go to joann's and see the batting for myself before I chose. I think I'm going to quilt it instead of tie it though. This quilt won't be going on any beds until I'm married. Until then, it's going in my hope chest, so I would really like to do some pretty quilting on it and I'll have enough time to do it too! But thanks for explaining what it is. Maybe I'll try that on a scrappy quilt after I finish my denim quilt...too many patterns and ideas in my head!!

Oh! and anyone got any ideas for a name? I'm stumped on that and have been thinking about it for some months but can't come up with anything.

Both are beautiful quilts, any it is quilted will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahrachel
    that's such a beautiful quilt okidee! Much better than my first quilt! I think I might have to go to joann's and see the batting for myself before I chose. I think I'm going to quilt it instead of tie it though. This quilt won't be going on any beds until I'm married. Until then, it's going in my hope chest, so I would really like to do some pretty quilting on it and I'll have enough time to do it too! But thanks for explaining what it is. Maybe I'll try that on a scrappy quilt after I finish my denim quilt...too many patterns and ideas in my head!!

Oh! and anyone got any ideas for a name? I'm stumped on that and have been thinking about it for some months but can't come up with anything.
    Sarah, this quilt I made is for my granddaughter Sarah...
    I would definately get a lower loft, it is much easier to put in a hoop, I use a round hoop for hand quilting. I used a low loft batting for this one.

How about the name, "My Choice"...is this a Clay's Choice pattern? I love the pattern, may have to do that one one day..oh, so many patterns, so little time...to get it all done.
    Have fun...Hugs, Dee in Oklahoma

Blog Entries
    very pretty, no quilting ideas :)

Very pretty quilt. How about a heart in each of the on point blocks in center of the main block. Also, you can use a page protector or clear piece of plastic and do a mock up of the quilting on the block to see what it would look like. Put the clear sheet over your block and use dashes to imitate the quilting.

mltquilt

Now..what a brilliant idea!!! I am going to use that myself...thanks...Hugs, Dee

You have done a wonderful job. It's very pretty.

Kat

Your quilt top is so pretty and you did a great job with everything!

thanks for all the compliments! but some of the blocks are quite horrible, the seems don't line up (sometimes by close to an inch!), it puckered, or the pattern I was following, I misfollowed, but in the last case, it made sure none of the blocks repeated when in fact 9 were supposed to. the worst blocks I put at the bottom so when it's on a bed, and hopefully it will one day, they'll either be tucked under or close to the floor so you won't see them, only the pretty blocks!

and I'll be sure to share pictures when it's completed, whenever that should be!

Love your quilt and color choices

Very pretty quilt - you did an awesome job!! If you want to handquilt it, pick a batting that is a lower loft. Connecting Threads has their battings 30% off right now until the end of June. The Hobbs Polydown would be an excellent choice. Please post pictures when you have finished quilting. Be proud! It is lovely!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast