Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hawaiian breadfruit wip

Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon View Post
    i am currently picking stitches out of this one so it will be correct...i can't stand for it to not be done the right way lol...best of luck with your quilt
    Sorry to hear you are picking stitches out. I don't think that was the intention of the comments. Being that this is a smaller project and what I assume is a practice, you could have left it and called it a learning tool! Good luck with the full size project.
    kathyd

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous stitching!
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Tisha, I have taken a class.. but needless to say my breadfruit wallhanding does not have the beautiful hand quilting you have... lovely job. No suggestion from me...

Judy in Phx, AZ

nls
    Very nice--pretty colors!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Love the top! And now I have to go look up breadfruit. I don't have a clue what kind of fruit or flower it looks like. At least I've seen the design before in applique. Thanks for giving it a name.

Beautiful job, love the colors. We had Pat Wys as a speaker at our guild last year and she brought atleast 20 different Hawaiian quilts. She also had a workshop with lessons. Beautiful!!!

beautiful and excellent on the stitches! WOW! you do lovely work
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Your work is amazing! Sandy 64

Blog Entries
    I love Hawaiian quilts. Made a block myself years ago but my quilting doesn't measure up to yours. Bravo!

That is beautiful! Can't wait to see your quilt!

Well done. So pretty.

I did the very same thing when I made my first Hawaiian quilt block. Do quilt 1/2" or 1" apart as you do the next one and you will be happier with the finished result.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I did the very same thing when I made my first Hawaiian quilt block. Do quilt 1/2" or 1" apart as you do the next one and you will be happier with the finished result.
    oh i took those stitches out and made them 1/2 apart...i posted pictures of the completed project on a different thread

Blog Entries
    I admire anyone who does a needle turned Hawaiian quilt. For myself, I'd be proud to have made a single Hawaiian block that way. (So far, I haven't.) And test pieces are just that--practice. It's a shame to have ripped out the beautiful hand quilting. To each is own, though. You will have a gorgeous quilt.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful. Your handstitching is outstanding. One of these days I hope I can make one. Thanks for sharing.

You do beautiful work. I just love your block!

Wow! Nice work and your stitch work is very neat. Can't wait to see it finished.
    starlite(Jan)

I have done several of those appliques. I made them in to pillows for myself and gave several as gifts. I hand appliqued the flower design and quilted around it on the machine. I loved the outcome.

I bought fabric, pattern and instruction book for a Hawaiian quilt. I can't find an answer to my question so maybe you all can help. Do I cut my ackground fabric into pieces then do applique and put them back togther or do I try to appique on the entire background with out cutting it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loriea View Post
    I bought fabric, pattern and instruction book for a Hawaiian quilt. I can't find an answer to my question so maybe you all can help. Do I cut my ackground fabric into pieces then do applique and put them back togther or do I try to appique on the entire background with out cutting it? Thanks
    if your making several different blocks then do them seperate then put together as any other quilt....for a big quilt you still have to piece the background bc you can't get fabric that wide...so piece background then add applique as one big piece..hope that makes sense

It is lovely. I made a pillow years ago. I quilted about 3/8" apart and it looked lovely. (Wondering what ever happened to it.) I think you are ready for a big quilt!
    Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon View Post
    I was born in Hawaii and my father is a native hawaiian so that makes me part hawaiian...i have always loved hawaiian quilts and have always wanted to make one. I have a pattern for a large quilt that a friend sent me that lives in Hawaii but before i tackled that i wanted to make something small but still in the same style so i picked out this breadfruit pattern out of a book i have and will make this into a pillow for my bed. I appliqued this yesterday morning then did the quilting last night while watching tv...still have quite a bit of quilting to go but its getting there....i will also add some quilting on the breadfruit applique....anyone who has done hawaiian applique please feel free to critique or give advice thanks so much
    blessings Tisha
    WOWWW! I love it!
    And thank you so much for sharing with us!
    I learned much today thanks for the comments!
    I always admired the Hawaiian of Japanese books, but I did not understand the technique of quilting!
    I thank you and I will see the end result that surely will be magnificent!
    A big hug!

Power Poster
    you have done a nice job nice hand quilting also
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!! and your handquilting is very good. I'd say you are ready for the big time !
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I have a Hawaiian friend who would absolutely love this! Guess she will be getting a table topper for Christmas! Your work is beautiful, btw!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast