Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with border choices

I think what you are thinking about might be the very thing to do with it,
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sandy your blocks are great. What size are they? Like others here I would like to see a small border in the background color then a darker color to anchor the quilt. I really like piano key borders, but if they are too large then they might take away from the quilt. Like what lollygagging said. How is it going to be backed? We all are waiting to see what you do. Thanks for sharing. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Hi Brendak, There are no 'blocks' per se. It is all done in strips. The pieces, either square or rectangle are 2.5 inch width and then either 2.5; 6.5 or 10.5 in length. It was a bugger to get laid out until I got the hang of what went where but actually, it is very easy, just time consuming. My goal is to try and use up some of my stash. I had a whole pile of little sample pieces a quilt shop owner had given me. They were approx. 8 x 12" so not a lot to work with. But this was a good use for them. I have some pieces left so can incorporate them into the outer border somehow. Many of you say to use the same pale yellow for my first border as the common thread yellow squares. I thought that would make it blend into them too much. I will play with it though and audition some of the yellow along the edge to see what it looks like. Perhaps I will try a few different colors to and take and post some pics. Might as well have fun with it, right? Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

It looks very pretty, but sorry am no good even with my own borders.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Love your quilt! I like your original idea. it will look really nice. Black or a darker colour border will frame your quilt nicely. I think that instead of the pastel binding I'd use the black or darker border you used before to finish it. I think that the tan border, though nice, will not define the quilt as much because the tan blocks will 'melt' with the border and into the quilt. It all depends on what sort of effect you are looking for. It is a gorgeous quilt!
    Last edited by BizzieLizzie; 06-24-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

Small dark green

I like the idea of a border of the yellowish fabric that you used in the body of the quilt, the same width as you had in the yellow blocks that 'sash' between each block. Then I'd cut wider piano keys of all the fabrics you used in the center to make longer lengths, attach to the sides and then cut a scalloped edging to soften all the angular edges in the center. Then it doesn't take away from the beautiful blocks. Wonderful quilt!

I would affix a narrow beige border (the same fabric framing each block), then another dark border the same width. I think you need to visually connect the beige "framing" then stop your eye with another narrow dark border BEFORE you audition a wider border of yet another fabric. Love the colors and layout!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Power Poster
    How about NO border at all?
    Just bind it with your "yellowish" fabric!
    I've been seeing "no border" quilts a lot lately!

beigh boarder then paino keys in all the colours

I really love this quilt. It is so soothing. But I don't think I would use black. If you can, use one of the fabrics in the quilt, then another border of the background fabric.
    Lenette

I'd do the narrow border in the sashing color, and then do the final border wider (maybe 4" or so?) in piano keys that are the same width as your fabric strips in the quilt. If you really want a nice finish I'd do a slight scallop on that final border to soften the quilt as there are so many lines (no curves) in the quilt. Your quilt is lovely!

Wow - just realized I commented on this quilt 2 1/2 months ago -- but am glad I'd do the same thing at least! I need a cup of tea...... : )
    Last edited by DebbE; 09-15-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: already commented previously! : )

Its a beauty no matter which of the selections of border you choose
    Jojos Nana, Carol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2