Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help with border choices >

Help with border choices

Help with border choices

Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 AM

I agree. I think you should stay with a simple border to draw your eye to the middle and let the border contain all the different colors. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I like the above idea of a narrow beige (or whatever that yellowish color is) border. I'd then add a dark blue, wider border.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks for showing us your quilt. It's beautiful. A narrow border of one of the darker fabrics in the quilt would go lovely, then a wider pastel border to finish off.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Just look at the color of the rug you have the quilt laid on. It is perfect. The beige stop strip and then something in that sade of blue. and a medium tone binding too, not light. I would make a scrap binding from the left over block fabrics. Cool quilt!
peace
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM

I also think the first border should be the same color as the light blocks surrounding each larger block. I agree that a piano border using the fabrics from the center of the quilt would finish it nicely then bind it in a dark forest green to match the green blocks within the quilt. I love what you've done so far. Please be sure to show us your finished quilt. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 PM

I would use the red dotted blend small 1 in border It would make all the fabrics pop but that's just my ideal
Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM

I think what you are thinking about might be the very thing to do with it,
Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Sandy your blocks are great. What size are they? Like others here I would like to see a small border in the background color then a darker color to anchor the quilt. I really like piano key borders, but if they are too large then they might take away from the quilt. Like what lollygagging said. How is it going to be backed? We all are waiting to see what you do. Thanks for sharing. BrendaK
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Hi Brendak, There are no 'blocks' per se. It is all done in strips. The pieces, either square or rectangle are 2.5 inch width and then either 2.5; 6.5 or 10.5 in length. It was a bugger to get laid out until I got the hang of what went where but actually, it is very easy, just time consuming. My goal is to try and use up some of my stash. I had a whole pile of little sample pieces a quilt shop owner had given me. They were approx. 8 x 12" so not a lot to work with. But this was a good use for them. I have some pieces left so can incorporate them into the outer border somehow. Many of you say to use the same pale yellow for my first border as the common thread yellow squares. I thought that would make it blend into them too much. I will play with it though and audition some of the yellow along the edge to see what it looks like. Perhaps I will try a few different colors to and take and post some pics. Might as well have fun with it, right? Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 AM

It looks very pretty, but sorry am no good even with my own borders.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 AM

Love your quilt! I like your original idea. it will look really nice. Black or a darker colour border will frame your quilt nicely. I think that instead of the pastel binding I'd use the black or darker border you used before to finish it. I think that the tan border, though nice, will not define the quilt as much because the tan blocks will 'melt' with the border and into the quilt. It all depends on what sort of effect you are looking for. It is a gorgeous quilt!

Last edited by BizzieLizzie; 06-24-2012 at 04:55 AM.