Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with border choices

Blog Entries

Help with border choices

I got the center of my Row by Row quilt (American Patchwork & Quilting February 2011) finished tonight but want to do my own borders. Not really...so I am asking for your opinions and ideas. I think it needs some kind of definition and I was thinking a tiny black border (perhaps 1/2 inch) around it and then add staggered blocks of similar floral prints around that in two rows and some kind of pastel binding. If you can think of something totally different, that is okay too. I am open for any suggestions. I won 't get to this for a couple months so take your time. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Very pretty ~ but I'm no help!

I would use a narrow beige border (the same as used around each block) to frame and "connect" the blocks. After that you can audition a wide border in a darker color. A piano key border with mitered corners might work well too.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I like the above idea of a narrow beige (or whatever that yellowish color is) border. I'd then add a dark blue, wider border.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    No help with borders from me, but I really do like the top you have shown us.

Blog Entries
    I Love your quilt. I don't have an opinion on the borders tho'. It is so pretty.

Blog Entries
    Not sure exactly what you mean by "staggered blocks", but I'm sure that will look good and keep with what you have already. I wouldn't go with black, either, but with the colour of your chain blocks (beige?).
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    Ok

I say a dark green small border... then some other color that you have lots of........... a little wider

piano keys? ...
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

I would go for a tiny dark border (maybe not black but one of the dark prints from the blocks). In fact, instead of a border, maybe I'd just go with a flange. Then I'd use the yellow-ish background color & then maybe the floral blocks you were talking about. As beautiful as the block are, I wouldn't get too crazy with the border so the blocks can really shine... they're fabulous!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of black, so personally I steer away from it in quilts. I'd first border it with the cream/beige that's already in your quilt. Then one of the medium colors you have in your quilt and finally bind it with one of the darkest colors in your quilt. I usually think inside the box. I do love piano keys! Look at the quilt borders on the pink quilts...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t154848.html
    Go forth and sew!

No idea what i would use but it sure is a pretty quilt and looking forward to seeing the finished quilt
    Doreen

Blog Entries
    It's pretty! I would choose a narrow border and wider border, but I wouldn't do black. I'd keep with the darker tones in the quilt. I like to do darker inner border and binding and lighter outer borders. It really frames it up nice. I've seen some pastel borders, but they are not for me.

I like the idea of a narrow flange (like a 1" strip folded in half and sewn on with the fold to the center of the quilt top), then maybe a narrow border of the background color, and a wider border of one of the favortie colors in the blocks. I would not do any more blocks in the border. Like another lady said, your blocks are so nice in the top that you don't want to take away from those. And it would give you a space to do some neat quilting in that border. I would do that little flange in a darker color but not black....maybe navy blue or a darker green, or maybe even a brown. It will be a beautiful quilt. Hope to see it when it is done!
    Friendship is a knot
    tied by Angels hands.

Linda

Blog Entries
    Its a beautiful quilt top - as for finishing it - I have to go with the lady who said to use the same cream color that is in the quilt creating the design in it - and then go with a coordinating color for the border; I don't think I'd use black or too dark a color - something soft like the colors in the quilt not to take away from the quilt top itself.
    JO

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I would go for a tiny dark border (maybe not black but one of the dark prints from the blocks). In fact, instead of a border, maybe I'd just go with a flange. Then I'd use the yellow-ish background color & then maybe the floral blocks you were talking about. As beautiful as the block are, I wouldn't get too crazy with the border so the blocks can really shine... they're fabulous!
    I agree.....some contrast would be nice in the border. I love those blocks!
    ~ Kevin the Quilter ~

Blog Entries
    Lots of good ideas here. Thanks everyone. I will do some auditioning from all your great ideas and see what catches my eye. Thanks everyone ..so much. Will give you an update when I get border done.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

That is sooooo cool I just love it and not sure what I would do but can't wait to see the finished product )
    There's only one true happiness in life ... to love and be loved )

Blog Entries
    I don't know what to suggest for the borders but I must say I love the quilt!

Blog Entries
    I like doghousemom's idea and I love what you've made! Be sure to show the final project!
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    I agree. I think you should stay with a simple border to draw your eye to the middle and let the border contain all the different colors. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I like the above idea of a narrow beige (or whatever that yellowish color is) border. I'd then add a dark blue, wider border.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Thanks for showing us your quilt. It's beautiful. A narrow border of one of the darker fabrics in the quilt would go lovely, then a wider pastel border to finish off.

Blog Entries
    Just look at the color of the rug you have the quilt laid on. It is perfect. The beige stop strip and then something in that sade of blue. and a medium tone binding too, not light. I would make a scrap binding from the left over block fabrics. Cool quilt!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I also think the first border should be the same color as the light blocks surrounding each larger block. I agree that a piano border using the fabrics from the center of the quilt would finish it nicely then bind it in a dark forest green to match the green blocks within the quilt. I love what you've done so far. Please be sure to show us your finished quilt. Thanks for sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

I would use the red dotted blend small 1 in border It would make all the fabrics pop but that's just my ideal
    Gods Blessings
    Happy Quilting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast