Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
HELPPPPPPPPPPPP ME WITH TIPS TO KEEP PIECED BACKING FROM MOVING >

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP ME WITH TIPS TO KEEP PIECED BACKING FROM MOVING

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP ME WITH TIPS TO KEEP PIECED BACKING FROM MOVING

Old 05-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Oh Jan..that is beautiful and I can sure see why you would want to use that back...its fantastic! I can't help you out with anything that hasnt' already been said...my last quilt had a straight line on the back..I did all I could...it ended up looking as crooked as a dog's hind leg. :evil:

I hope you can get it worked out though...I do like the basting spray and I might use a combination of that and pinning. I do use the toothpick method to line things up too. I think with mine..I just didn't check the back often enough while I was quilting it..(I tend to do that)..Good luck!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Toothpick method???? :oops: :oops:
Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JANW
Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
This is what I did with my last two. Starched, then used two pieces of trim boards, as she does in her video (utube), and hand basted. They didn't turn out 'perfect', but much better than I've done before. It takes quite awhile though.
I'm going to try her method, but the video uses basting instead of pins on utube. If that doesn't make the difference, I have some 108" backing from Jo-anns in the wing. I hate to give up on my pieced backing, because it uses all the Kafee Fassett coordinating fabrics that are in the quilt and it took a lot of time to make that. I also had to order more fabric and wait for it to come to do the back.
Must be you have the right video, no pins, just hand basting using the trim boards. It does take quite awhile to do, for me anyways, yet seems pretty foolproof. I hope you can try this before giving up on your wonderful pieced backing. Because you have it on the table, somewhat anyways as your's is so big, you should be able to easily keep checking it as you baste. Too bad we all didn't live closer, we could give you a hand with it!
:-)
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Dianna, wounldn't that be great. I need lots of hands on this one only because I've made the back almost a reversible quilt.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM

When you stitch in the ditch, try starting in the center and radiating out to the sides. (does that make sense?) Start all your stitches in the middle to ease any wrinkles out.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Can you beleive that is what I did? First from center in all directions to center of all sides. I thought I was carefully smoothing as I went and then sewed from center to side on both sides. I was about to do the same to fill lengthwise when I noticed the shift. 2 days to tear out.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

i wish we all lived close by so we could help you hand baste the quilt.

if you're friendly with your LQS or guild i'm sure they would be willing to help you during the down times.

since that ditch stitch is so important i really think hand basting down each side of those seams to hold everything in place is the way to go.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i wish we all lived close by so we could help you hand baste the quilt.

if you're friendly with your LQS or guild i'm sure they would be willing to help you during the down times.

since that ditch stitch is so important i really think hand basting down each side of those seams to hold everything in place is the way to go.
Would be great to have this many quilting buddies close, thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Since it is such a beautiful, and big quilt, is having it basted by a longarm option? Might save you tons of gray hair.... and maybe just having it basted wouldn't cost so much?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 PM

i once did a queen reversible quilt out of corduroy. talk about idiots!

what a did was this: using the batting as a foundation (in your case the batting and one side of the quilt - you decide), i sewed the center piece (in your case this could be the panel in the center of the back) to the center of the batting. that gave me the needed stitching lines to continue. from there, i stitched on the existing stitching lines and flipped. went around the center in this manner. each time the outside stitching lines were my markers for the next round. i kept sewing and flipping until the edges and then bound off.in your case, i would back the center of the batting and sew through the center of the top of the quilt. stop. from there use those lines to stitch again and flip the backing pieces, working around the center. around again and again.

this will give you what appears to be stitch in the ditch but crisper because the stitches ARE the ditch and do not wobble at all. but not as many lines. if you have smoothed very well and pinned as you went along, you can then add more lines of stitches.

i hope this helps you.

EDIT: i forgot to say that the backing would have to come apart again and added piece by piece. ooops! more work.