Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I NEED HELP TO IDENTIFY HOW OLD THIS QUILT TOP IS PLEASE Appraisal on Page 3 >

I NEED HELP TO IDENTIFY HOW OLD THIS QUILT TOP IS PLEASE Appraisal on Page 3

I NEED HELP TO IDENTIFY HOW OLD THIS QUILT TOP IS PLEASE Appraisal on Page 3

Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marquilt
I would have pegged those fabrics as from the 1800s myself. But I wonder at it only being worth $300. The value of old quilts must be going down these days.
I think that is because it was just the top - if it had been a finished quilt it would have been a lot more.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Great find! I love yard/garage/estate sales. I have found some unvelievable buys at such places. Your find is wonderful...congratulations!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 AM

what a neat old quilt and great thread to read through:)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Oh the Washington Pavement Civil War quilt! I have the pattern for the block in a Fons and Porter quilting magazine. I have been saving scraps of civil war reproduction fabrics to make this quilt. I am not saying this is reproduction quilt as the pattern is a bit different. There are no solid blocks in the quilt from the magazine the blocks are seperated by sashing. The pattern is from the March/April 2004 magazine. There is a whole section on Civil War quilts and history in this magazine. I you may want to look around on some auction sites and see if you can get your hands on this magazine.

Just to point out though, I have that brown material with the white dots on it in my reproduction stash. Again, that does not mean yours are reproduction. Just out of curiosity, is this hand or machine pieced?

Either way, you have a beautiful quilt! One which I intend to have one similar too with my repro stash!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
Originally Posted by tinkerfeet
I was just wondering what if anything will you do with it? I think I would be afraid to quilt it are finish it in any way. No matter what you do it was a great find.
Hi tinkerfeet...
I won't be doing anything to it.
The appraiser instructed me in how to make sure it was finished in order to increase the value...but I am a beginning quilter with a brain injury. The quilt needs to go to someone that can do it justice. I was told that muslin and vintage cotton threads can be found on ebay to complete this; but it is way out of my realm of thinking. I couldn't bear to ruin it.
I am toying with the idea of listing it on ebay...
I have no contacts in the quilt world to sell it off that way.
Still pondering...
I would hang onto this quilt top until you can get more information regarding it. The Civil War quilt patterns are actually what got me into quilting. I just love them! There is something about that Civil War that just draws me in. You may have a piece there that is really worth some money! But if you really wanted to get rid of it my birthday is April 1st! Hint Hint. :lol:
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
PS Did you by any chance find out anything about the block? I have never seen one like it.

i asked and the lady didn't recognize the pattern ither...she called it 5-stars.
a guy that was there gave me some info for a place to search.
The block is called Washington Pavement, which was used in Civil War Era quilts. $300 seems low for such a vintage piece. It seems there should be someone that is more familiar with Civil War era quilts that would recognize the pattern and know what you have. I will do some checking and get back to you if I find anything! I would hang onto this for now.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by adirondackgrl76
Oh the Washington Pavement Civil War quilt! I have the pattern for the block in a Fons and Porter quilting magazine. I have been saving scraps of civil war reproduction fabrics to make this quilt. I am not saying this is reproduction quilt as the pattern is a bit different. There are no solid blocks in the quilt from the magazine the blocks are seperated by sashing. The pattern is from the March/April 2004 magazine. There is a whole section on Civil War quilts and history in this magazine. I you may want to look around on some auction sites and see if you can get your hands on this magazine.

Just to point out though, I have that brown material with the white dots on it in my reproduction stash. Again, that does not mean yours are reproduction. Just out of curiosity, is this hand or machine pieced?

Either way, you have a beautiful quilt! One which I intend to have one similar too with my repro stash!
the actual blocks are hand stitched but the sashing s are not.
I am happy with the appraisal.
Had it appraised by someone prior to that that dated it to the 1850's. Second appraisal dated it between 1850-1880.
The fabrics are the real thing.
I have a few cases of old brown fabrics from the 1950's-1960's
in storage that would make an interesting civil war quilt.
The lady I bought them from bought them to do exactly that...4-boxes later and many years sitting in her attic. I'm not sure if she understood you didn't need that much fabric for one quilt. Just thought it cute to have so much for one quilt. Not sure what will be done with them .
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by tinkerfeet
I was just wondering what if anything will you do with it? I think I would be afraid to quilt it are finish it in any way. No matter what you do it was a great find.
Hi tinkerfeet...
I won't be doing anything to it.
The appraiser instructed me in how to make sure it was finished in order to increase the value...but I am a beginning quilter with a brain injury. The quilt needs to go to someone that can do it justice. I was told that muslin and vintage cotton threads can be found on ebay to complete this; but it is way out of my realm of thinking. I couldn't bear to ruin it.
I am toying with the idea of listing it on ebay...
I have no contacts in the quilt world to sell it off that way.
Still pondering...
I would hang onto this quilt top until you can get more information regarding it. The Civil War quilt patterns are actually what got me into quilting. I just love them! There is something about that Civil War that just draws me in. You may have a piece there that is really worth some money! But if you really wanted to get rid of it my birthday is April 1st! Hint Hint. :lol:
Yes, the piece has value. Of that I have no doubt. I just get this weird feeling in my body when I touch certain things when I am garage saleing. When ever I get that feeling I buy what ever it is. So far has paid off.
I actually want to sell this as I have no use for it so if you know anyone that is interested let me know. Someone should have this out to enjoy it and finish it.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
PS Did you by any chance find out anything about the block? I have never seen one like it.

i asked and the lady didn't recognize the pattern ither...she called it 5-stars.
a guy that was there gave me some info for a place to search.
The block is called Washington Pavement, which was used in Civil War Era quilts. $300 seems low for such a vintage piece. It seems there should be someone that is more familiar with Civil War era quilts that would recognize the pattern and know what you have. I will do some checking and get back to you if I find anything! I would hang onto this for now.
ok...put that into Google and here we have it finally...T*H*A*N*K*S

http://www.ogpquiltshop.com/scripts/...y=BlockofMonth
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM

And just to confuse the name further I found this
scroll down a bit.
http://alsafghans.4t.com/alsafghans4.html

Beautiful quilt top. And great find