Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help with my flag!!! >

I need help with my flag!!!

I need help with my flag!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you put some synthropol in the water and re-wash the fugitive dyes should come out-
it is a detergent that keeps fugitive dyes from getting on other fabrics in the wash water---color catchers may catch any more bleeding- but i don't think they will help remove what is already there- for that you need the synthropol.
good luck---
and hopefully lesson learned-
ALWAYS PREWASH OR AT LEAST COLOR TEST ALL REDS!!! THE ALWAYS BLEED
I made this quilt when I was young and foolish!! It was the first time I bought a kit!! Lesson learned!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you put some synthropol in the water and re-wash the fugitive dyes should come out-
it is a detergent that keeps fugitive dyes from getting on other fabrics in the wash water---color catchers may catch any more bleeding- but i don't think they will help remove what is already there- for that you need the synthropol.
good luck---
and hopefully lesson learned-
ALWAYS PREWASH OR AT LEAST COLOR TEST ALL REDS!!! THE ALWAYS BLEED
I agree with the ALWAYS prewash or color test -

but not ALL reds ALWAYS bleed. Just enough of them do bleed or have excess dye in them (or of of any color - other than whites or light pastels) so one can't make any assumptions that the fabric will NOT spill color.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I'm not saying this to make you feel better, but I honestly like the washed one better. It looks antique. It's not streaky, right? Just red tinted? I say fly it with pride!
I agree! I think it looks very natural.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM

You really don't want to use bleach of any kind on that, trust me. It's so hard to get out, just think how hard it is to get off your hands and it's twice as hard to get out of fabric. The bleach will interact with the sun and kick the crap out of your fabric. I don't know about any of the other chemicals that were mentioned but the only think I would think to do is keep washing it until all the dye is gone and then rinse it twice.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
those bleach pens i hear work well. I would wash in retayn or synthope and a bunch of color catchers afterward. but I am probably wrong on the re washing.
Retayne & synthope will set the dye. Wash with the colour catchers first. They will absorb the loose dye. After you get the pink out, then wash with retayne or synthope.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
BMP

Try soaking in some oxy...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM

I had the same problem with a quilt just recently done. When I washed my white became pink. 1/2 cup of bleach in the washer let aggitate for a minute, added quilt and pinks all gone, and the red and blue stayed sharp! I tried so many other products, the color catchers didnt work, synthropol didnt work, so what the heck I thought, whats the worse thing that could happen. Turned out great!
Wishing now I hadnt spent the money on all the other expensive products that didnt come through.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I like the vintage look, too.
Good luck with your washings!
Let us know the outcome!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM

This just happened to me this week. I got a Red white and blue quilt from a guild member for the quilts of valor. I had to wash it before I sent it to it's final destination. The colors faded all over the white. Ugh! should have used a color catcher. I went to the store and bought some and rewashed it with 3 color catchers in it and then even rewashed it a 3rd time with 3 more. It came out pretty good, but not as perfect and crisp white as in the beginning. I will be sure to tell my guild members to prewash their fabrics from now on.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 AM

It is still BEAUTIFUL :)