Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm having so much fun with my longarm >

I'm having so much fun with my longarm

I'm having so much fun with my longarm

Old 11-08-2023, 08:05 AM

Default I'm having so much fun with my longarm

That I can't piece quilts fast enough. Here is Balancing Act by Linda Jordan. I absolutely love the quilting panto, which is Van Gogh from Anne Bright. I used the extra blocks to make a little table runner, and I used a smaller version of the panto to quilt it. I used a pale blue thread so the pattern would show a little more than it would if I had used white thread. Now I'm leaving my wintery home in Minnesota for four months in Palm Desert. I have the fabric for six quilts all cut and packaged. I have a small sewing machine that I take along to piece in the desert. I hope to have all six quilt tops finished by the time I get home in April. We'll see. My intentions are good anyway.

Attached Thumbnails img_1604.jpeg   img_1610.jpeg  
Old 11-08-2023, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Very nice, Good job !
Old 11-08-2023, 09:49 AM

Yes, very nice!
I love that you're having so much fun instead of intimidation.

it was the same for me when I first got my longarm. Couldn't piece fast enough.

So I started making row quilts. Quilts that were made up of horizontal stripes in varying sizes from about 8" or 9" down to about 2.5" wide. Pieced rows mixed with non pieced ones.
That way I could make each row a different practice row if I wanted: 1 row fmq, 1 row ruler work, 1 row panto, etc.
They went together pretty fast, and they were easy to make any size I wanted/needed to make.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:14 AM

Oh I really like those. Enjoy yourself and quilt well. Who shovels snow while you are gone?
Old 11-08-2023, 12:33 PM

Quiltwoman, my husband gave our snowblower to our new, young neighbor with the proviso that he clear our driveway and have his kids run all over our yard so the house doesn’t look empty. Works great.

1CharmShort, you’re more ambitious than I am. I just use the computer capabilities of my longarm. I did FMQ on my sit-down Tiara for many years. Now I just stand and watch the longarm quilt. I love it.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt and table runner are so cute! I love the scrappiness. Congrats on using the new longarm.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Great quilt and runner!
Old 11-09-2023, 02:26 AM

You are off and running with your new long arm. Thanks for showing us your lovely projects. Choosing thread colors seems fun as well. Was there a steep learning curve to operating your long arm? Enjoy your warmer climate while you piece your 6 quilts!
Old 11-09-2023, 06:06 AM

Love what you’ve done. What long arm did you replace your Tiara with? Lucky you that you can be a snow bird.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:28 AM

I'm jealous. Right now I am struggling to quilt a comfort quilt for a new widow on my Tiara. The Minky on the back is really creating a drag on the bed of the machine, even with straps supporting the excess. I used a silicon spray but there really was no difference. I do enjoy the FMQing using the Tiara, despite the recent problems but wish I could crank them out faster sometimes. Enjoy your new toy and your warm winter. It's not too bad here in IL so far. Yesterday was 79, with future outlook in the high 50s. Not bad for mid November.