Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm learning >

I'm learning

I'm learning

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 AM

I make gifts for family and friends all the time. Sometimes I get replies from the receiver, sometimes I don't. It is the joy of making that gift, and all the thoughts about the receiver while creating that gift, that gives me joy. Guess that is why I so enjoy getting a handmade gift over a store bought one. I know that I was thought about while the gift was being created. Take joy in the love of your creations......the one that really gets the joy of giving is THE ONE above watching over us. Give, and you shall receive.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I think they're great and I can understand why you're hurt. I think most young people (anyone that hasn't moved out on their own) don't understand craftmanship and doing something that takes alot of time and patience. I think they view quilts as "bedding" and something that's strictly utilitarian. Unless these kids ( and probably their mother too) have been around you and seen what goes into making a quilt they have not concept of the craft. Personally I wouldn't waste my time on anymore handmade gifts. And yes I would rather give money and not get thanked than to give a quilt with no acknowledgment.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 AM

Your quilts and ornaments are beautiful. I know how it hurts to work on something so hard and have it not appreciated. But know that you did a good thing. Maybe someday they will appreciate the quilts.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58 AM

I have happen to me also, with grandaugthers
Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Your quilts are beautiful! It's too bad that some people were never taught basic manners.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by frarose
That is so sad. Yes, I would definitely call and make sure they arrived. But, since your gifts don't get acknowledged, I am of the mindset that you should no longer send gifts of any sort. If gifts aren't even acknowledged whether made or bought apparently they aren't appreciated.

Bye the way I LOVE the quilts, they are beautiful.
I agree whole heartily!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 AM

I just texted their mom and she said they did receive them and were amazed. She is mailing their thank you notes today. Guess I need to start eating my crow!!! Thanks for letting me spout off here and for the advice to contact them. You guys are great.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM

Oh man that is awful If it were me I'd call to make sure they got it and wait for a response..
Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Your quilts and ornaments are beautiful and it is apparent a lot of time and love went into them.

I have had similiar experience and have changed my attitude.

Yes, it would be nice to get a written thank you and/or a telephone call but I've decided my "joy" is making the quilt and if I get a thank you it's just frosting on an already wonderful cake.

People who are not quilters have no idea how much time go into our gifts.

"WE" all appreciate your quilts regardless.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Your quilts and ornaments are beautiful! I'm so sorry that after all the work (and money)that you put in you've not heard anything. Manners are not taught much anymore so maybe a call from you, as suggested, would be a start, perhaps with a gentle statement that you'd appreciate hearing that gifts are received. Perhaps a thank you would be forth coming as well with a call or note. I'm sure you model these manners when things are sent to you. Take heart in your love and your gifts given to others regardless of the response or lack. It is you who give the love, seeds of encouragement, and even source of manners to others and you who suffer if hurt is held onto. Rejoice in your gift and your love given freely. Blessings!