Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm loving this now thanks to you! Need input for border please! >

I'm loving this now thanks to you! Need input for border please!

I'm loving this now thanks to you! Need input for border please!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Oh, I think I like the tiny blue/blue check. JMO
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM

:thumbup: It never ceases to amaze me just how talented "we" are! So many beautiful projects and this is one of them. I agree that a narrow inner border perhaps in white followed by the dark blue would look very nice.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Concur with red setting, blue check on blue border, red binding. You could add a narrow white innerborder (or piping) between the blue border and red setting triangles. Might give it too much of a patriotic flair and you might not be going for that look.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
This is the one that I'm thinking of.
It is hard to see the checks but I like this one best of the ones shown & would go with it. But I think I'd bind it with the red you used for the small squares.
Good idea...I'll see if I have enough of that left over.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM

This is a beautiful quilt. IMO, I would use a darker border to make those blocks pop. Good job. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by karenm36
Originally Posted by SewMomma66
No flowers for your guy! Checks get my vote.

That was my thought...thanks!
Ditto for me too. It turned out awesome. But checks is better than flowers for a guy.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Hi Karen, What a great job you've done. I really like the red setting triangles as they set off the on point setting of your squares.

I would not use the paisley, it's not for a man.

I would see about getting a navy blue fabric that matches what you have for your sashing fabric. Then I would use it to make a small border which will read like a frame all around your quilt squares set on point. Then I would see if you can find another fabric for a larger outside border. I'm not sure about the blue check that you mentioned. Could not tell from the pictures.

For the outside border you should have at least two borders, or two borders with a small fabric flange or small piping accent.

I would spend whatever it took to get the right fabric to match your quilt. Take your quilt with you to the fabric store. You may have ladies at the store give you their input. Take along a friend for their input. Have plenty of time when you go to the store. Lay out several different options with your quilt top to see how it looks. Stand back and take a picture. Then look at the picture in your camera. If you can't decide, sleep on it over night and see how you feel about your decision the next day.

Good luck with your quilt.

Pam M
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Karen, What a great job you've done. I really like the red setting triangles as they set off the on point setting of your squares.

I would not use the paisley, it's not for a man.

I would see about getting a navy blue fabric that matches what you have for your sashing fabric. Then I would use it to make a small border which will read like a frame all around your quilt squares set on point. Then I would see if you can find another fabric for a larger outside border. I'm not sure about the blue check that you mentioned. Could not tell from the pictures.

For the outside border you should have at least two borders, or two borders with a small fabric flange or small piping accent.

I would spend whatever it took to get the right fabric to match your quilt. Take your quilt with you to the fabric store. You may have ladies at the store give you their input. Take along a friend for their input. Have plenty of time when you go to the store. Lay out several different options with your quilt top to see how it looks. Stand back and take a picture. Then look at the picture in your camera. If you can't decide, sleep on it over night and see how you feel about your decision the next day.

Good luck with your quilt.

Pam M
Thanks so much for your input. I'm heading to the LQS with quilt in hand on Wednesday. There's a dear woman there who's been "holding my hand" as I learn to quilt...I know she'll be very helpful!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM

LOVE your quilt! Yes go with the dark blue and I think that Paisley is fine for men. I have seen them on men's shirts, waistcoats, ties.... I would choose dark blue, Paisley and dark blue border. You need to go with your heart though, what ever you decide, it will look wonderful. It has your 'stamp' on it and it is STUNNING! Well done! :thumbup:
Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Beautiful quilt! I love the blue paisley for the border.