Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
It's Done in time for tonight!!! >

It's Done in time for tonight!!!

It's Done in time for tonight!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM

Beautiful quilt. I'm sure it will be loved. Praises going up for the safe return of your daughter to USA soil. I'm sure your reunion will be much anticipated. Thank your daughter for her service to our country - from Piedmont Quilter.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Old fashioned labels are just fine. You did a beautiful job, and your friend will love it.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
This came out so well! I made a child's quilt from the warm wishes and haven't even showed it on the board, because I hate it. It is hard to get it balanced out with the right fabrics. You on the other hand, did a great job. This quilt came out beautiful. You are very sweet to do this for her. She is going to feel so special recieving it.
Thank you for your complements!

My preference is to use 2 focal fabrics for the squares, one to be framed one to "float" The strip fabrics I like to complement the fabrics in the focus fabric, using the lightest or a more "neutral" in the center. A have seen some turn out that use a darker center, such as a black. I then pull my favorite of the focal, or the one I have enough of, to use as a border.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Thank you all for the well wishes of my daughters return. We really appreciate it. She is still in New Jersey waiting on some medical issues. She really wants to get home as soon as possible, but when there are medical issues, they need to be taken care of, or at least documented while still on active status. She was able to find a phone and actually call us this morning and she's torn about getting her problem (shoulder) fixed but does not want to be away any longer than absolutely necessary. It could be as early as Friday, depending on the medical stuff. She is scheduled to see an Orthopedist tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be documented and then come home and see my Orthopedist that is working with my shoulder. We could have a monther/daughter bonding at the surgeons office!!! (however both of us haveing surgery at the same time would not be good, who would take care of two of us?)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:53 PM

So much exciting news--your friend is well! Your quilt is done! AND YOUR DAUGHTER IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WooHoo! Dang-you must be grinning all day long.

I love the wavy stitch idea!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM

Jim's Gem:
Your quilt is simply gorgeous. I would love to know the yardage required for your quilt (also size of quilt). Your color choices were awesome. What a neat thing to do for a friend.

Hope you do not mind me asking.

Sue
Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 AM

Glad your dauther is back, out local news had item about, amybe she was on TV??? Here is was our channel 6.
Give her lots of hugs!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Congratulations on finishing the Warm Wishes for your friend, and bigger Congratulations on your daughter's safe return, even with shoulder issues! I can see you grinning from here! :lol:
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM

I guess what I needed to ask is, what size were your blocks? I see what you mean about the TWO focal fabrics. I had not noticed that before. The quilt is just wonderful. It took me a few minutes to notice how you did the rail fence to make it look like the focal fabric was framed. If I googled "Warm Wishes" would there be a pattern?

Trust your daughter will be home soon.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SSTeacher
I guess what I needed to ask is, what size were your blocks? I see what you mean about the TWO focal fabrics. I had not noticed that before. The quilt is just wonderful. It took me a few minutes to notice how you did the rail fence to make it look like the focal fabric was framed. If I googled "Warm Wishes" would there be a pattern?

Trust your daughter will be home soon.
Yes there is a free baby size pattern on the net. It is used a lot to make Linus quilts (quilts for sick children) The pattern has you use one focal fabric, I like the look of two. You can also do a "Scrappy" look too, using several different fabrics for the larger blocks as well as the rail blocks, keeping the color or at min the value the same. The blocks are 6" finished size. I believe that McCalls quilting has the pattern.

I had actually purchased the pattern from a quilt shop before it was posted free on the internet. The pattern I have gives an option for more sizes of the quilt as well as a larger block size.

If you only use a couple fabrics it is pretty easy to figure the yardage, just count all the strips you need and add them up to find out how much fabric you need.