Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
January 2010 Doll Quilt Swap PICTURES >

January 2010 Doll Quilt Swap PICTURES

January 2010 Doll Quilt Swap PICTURES

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
k3n
Power Poster

It is not OK Rhonda, it's beautiful! Bit 'corny' though...! :lol: Seriously, I knew Terri would love it! :-D
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Thanks K I get a bit insecure at times about my work. Especially when it is something differant than what I usually do.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Rhonda, I love the corn quilt. It's so neat how it turned out. You did a great job!!!! I want corn fabric........... And I want to know how to make it turn out so great like you did!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

thanks Janis. I was looking for OBW fabric for K3n and Dresden Kaleidoscope fabric for me at a little country store that has fabric I have never seen anywhere else. And when this challenge came up I remembered seeing this fabric. Fortunately they still had it! K liked it and she found it online. She is going to make a OBW out of it. Hope you don't mind my telling that K!! This quilt is my Dresden Kaleidoscope technique.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Thanks K I get a bit insecure at times about my work. Especially when it is something differant than what I usually do.
It is hard to imagine that you would be secure about your work. You do such a beautiful job. You really inspire me. I've bought your book, but I haven't tried it yet. It is near the top of my list of things to do. This quilt really shows that you can create something beautiful from any type of print. Impressive.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laparshall
Originally Posted by Rhonda
It is hard to imagine that you would be secure about your work. You do such a beautiful job. You really inspire me. I've bought your book, but I haven't tried it yet. It is near the top of my list of things to do. This quilt really shows that you can create something beautiful from any type of print. Impressive.
Just because I have more experience in my little corner of the quilt world there is a great big world of quilting that I have never tried! Give me a traditional mini and I am confidant but when I try something I haven't done before I am unsure at times whether what I think is great will look that way to others. I got outside my comfort zone on this one. I don't do big quilts so borders like this one is something I don't do design wise. I didn't really like 2 of the kaleidoscopes in the corners but I was at that point that I wasn't going to do them over. So the over all look was affected by that decision. I worried that the corn border was too hokey. Not pretty. It is corn afterall!! I thought maybe I should have stopped with the center because it doesn't scream this is corn like the border does. But I wanted to show the original fabric somewhere.

No matter your experience we more seasoned quilters have our doubts and insecurities too. Did I make the right choice in that fabric did I do that right? I especially question myself all the time. My weakest point is I don't do alot of quilting things down as my small projects don't always need it. So I am not very good at quilting designs into the project.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Thonda: Sorry, I meant "insecure" instead of "secure" in my first sentence. I think you understood that.

It is interesting to hear that you go through all of those thoughts when doing a project. I suppose we are all pretty much the same. I always worry if it will be seen as I meant it. I guess it is art whatever way you look at it. There are just so many decisions when making a quilt, isn't there? With all of those thoughts going into your little corn quilt, I'd say it turned out very well.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

thanks laparshall. I think it turned out pretty good. Everything can always be abit better. The kaleidoscopes in the corners turned out a bit larger than the space allowed so I had to do some finagling to get them to fit. I should have redone the template but was too fed up to do it. So I just trimmed them instead.They are not even and that bugs me but I do get to that place where I say oh well!! and close my eyes to the mistakes!! LOL
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Rhonda, that corn quilt is the cutest!!! I LOVE it!! My mom's family were farmers, and they all grew seed corn in central MO. My grandfather bought the farm from his father, who had bought it from his father. They raised seed corn and white faced herford cattle. My uncle then took over the farm, and didn't raise much corn, going mostly cattle. But my aunt married a man who grew corn, and we did all those things you were talking about on their farm when we would go on vacation there. Fond memories!!! Love the quilt!!! Janice
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

There are lots more memories for me. My cousin and I used to roam the fields and timber when we were kids. We stopped in one cornfield and decided to rest in the storage shed. We sat there and watched a mama mouse carry her babies one by one up this ladder to a new nest. We had disturbed her so she was protecting her babies. My uncle stored seed corn in that shed.

My dad took me down through the corn fields and left me and my girlfriend there with my dad's little renault(stick shift) and told us to get it back to the house throught the cornfield track and he went back to the house! We crashed gears and killed it alot but we made it back to the house!

I remember 30 to 40 gunny sacks of sweet corn my FIL would pick and Glen's family would all gather to can corn. Dad made his own corn cutter to make the job go faster.

Lots of fun memories! Tho my strongest memory of my granpa Mills was him taking us to the basement and showing us a bushel of soy beans (his second crop after corn) and lecturing us on the future of soybeans. I remember him saying one day the soybean was going to be all over the world and would help solve world hunger. I wonder what he would think of how the soybean is used now! I didn't think I could do anything with soybeans tho!! LOL

I made the comment when I first saw this theme that Iowa is known for corn and hogs. I said I am not doing a quilt on corn and hogs!! But if you look at the back fabric there are hogs there!!!!! LOL Lots of memories there too!