Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jewel Box Work in Progress >

Jewel Box Work in Progress

Jewel Box Work in Progress

Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 AM

This is beautiful and I love the fact that you are piecing a vintage pattern. It will be absolutely gorgeous when you finish--well, it is already, but even more so when complete!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM

It is beautiful! You are doing a wonderful job. Please don't put yourself down just because it is taking you longer than it took your neice. As far as I know, you two weren't having a competition...So just smile and keep working on your beautiful quilt. Pretty soon it will be completed!

Kat
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM

This is beautiful!! I have one started.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM

You are doing a great job!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Just saw another post on this quilt pattern. I think I may have finally found what I want to make for my bed. I've never done one this big from start to finish. I have a question. Is there a difference to the warmth of the quilt when you machine quilt as opposed to hand quilting? I hand quilted a top my grandmother pieced and it just has a warm feel to it. When I've seen the machine quilted quilts on here, they look so beautiful and more decorative than I could do by hand but it just seems like all the stitching is so close together that it would lose some of it's ability to keep you warm. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM

It may take you a while but it will be worth it by what we've seen. Beautiful quilting.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MonaMcC View Post
Just saw another post on this quilt pattern. I think I may have finally found what I want to make for my bed. I've never done one this big from start to finish. I have a question. Is there a difference to the warmth of the quilt when you machine quilt as opposed to hand quilting? I hand quilted a top my grandmother pieced and it just has a warm feel to it. When I've seen the machine quilted quilts on here, they look so beautiful and more decorative than I could do by hand but it just seems like all the stitching is so close together that it would lose some of it's ability to keep you warm. What do you think?
Because I'm handling the material so much as I move the hoop and do the quilting, the quilt has become quite soft. The machine quilted ones I've seen seem to be a bit less flexible maybe because the fabric hasn't been scrunched and manipulated as it is put down, taken out of the hoop, repositioned and picked up and plopped down on my lap. Like you, the machine quilting I've seen is more heavily quilted than what I've done. I like them for their artistic beauty and I do have a whole cloth heavily quilted (store bought, cheap, lol) coverlet on the bed while this is in the works but the Jewel Box one just feels so cosy. I suspect, as you said, that it just might be warmer because the filler hasn't been so compressed by very dense quilting.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Love it! Great way to use up a few scraps as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Both are great!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Absolutely beautiful quilt and job well done.