Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Just Keep Going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Just Keep Going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Keep Going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Default Just Keep Going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am posting these pictures to hopefully inspire others who are much too critical of themselves and quit too soon. I thoroughly enjoyed putting this quilt together for my brother, in what I considered a masculine theme. I didn't have a pattern but saw it on a wall in a local quilt shop.

It wasn't until I started to quilt it on my frame that I realized each and every block was slightly different as far as how I cut it to square. I have a robotic feature on my long arm Innova and wanted to use it. That's when I saw that my blocks were not as identical as I wanted them to be. Next, I picked a beautiful pattern but after an entire row decided it was much too dense. Oh well, sit and rip out thousands of stitches, No, I think not, just keep going.

The more I kept going the more unhappy I was but at this point decided it was "just get it over with". When I finally got to the bottom border it was so crooked I just wanted to cry BUT "just keep doing it". I took it off the frame and marked the final border and quilted it on my DSM. It was sooooo heavy to move around. I always take pictures of my quilts before I give them away or use them but didn't with this one.

UNTIL I PUT IT ON HIS BED! Unless you were the quilt police and inspected this up close and personal you would not notice all that I've complained about. I know the men on horseback will think it's wonderful.

Point to all this is Don't give up, be forgiving and just keep going. He loves it and now so do I, It was my lesson in humility. I still have so much to learn.
Attached Thumbnails frankies-quilt-14-006.jpg   frankies-quilt-14-004.jpg   frankies-quilt-14-007.jpg   frankies-quilt-14-003.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

It looks wonderful on the bed and he loves it! A win, win in my opinion no matter how much trouble it gave you.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

The quilt looks wonderful and you are so right about us being too fussy about things that non-quilters would never even see. Not all quilts are ready to be judged but that does not make them any less lovable.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM

I love it! You did a wonderful job. Wish you had the pattern so you could share it. I want to make one just like it!. Hope someone on the board know if it is available.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Regardless of the problems you had with it, it's beautiful!! Thanks for inspiring us to not "sweat the small things".
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Looks wonderful! Hope he appreciates all your hard work!
I know what you mean about being over critical of our own work. I'll be quilting away, then think to myself I'll have to take that out later. When I go to take it out, I can't even find the 'error'!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:34 AM

Gorgeous and unique! I love the colors!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM

I have no galloping horse and I think it is great!! Unique pattern and I love the fabrics.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM

You did a great job! Your blocks look "square on" to me. I, too, have kept on going on a couple of quilts that took years and I'm glad I did as I am sure you are also! Well done.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt, the colors just flow in such a nice pattern. The quilting, what I could see, looks great too.

I'm interested in what type of robotics you have on your Innova. I'm considering that addition but haven't done enough research on what's available.