Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The KS. crazy quilt pix >

The KS. crazy quilt pix

The KS. crazy quilt pix

Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM

I can not imagine all of the hours just in the embroidery alone! It is beautiful!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 AM

What a treasure you have found!!!! Knowing what you do know now about the quilt, and what you can find out from your friend the crazy quilt expert, you really need to make a little album of pictures of the quilt and notes of what you have found out, and what you will continue to find out about your quilt. Then you will have a great history of the quilt for the future. Be sure to put in where and when you got it, and any information that you can find out about who had it before, even if it is just where you purchased it. This will make a great history lesson.
Are there schools in your area that might be interested in seeing it and talking about the history of your quilt? It just might get some young people interested in making their own crazy quilt.
I will not be on the look out for crazy quilts to see if I can find something as interesting as you have found.
Now I think I just might try to make one from my life stories.
Janis
Old 03-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
I'm fascinated by all the fancy stitches holding the pieces together!
Some museum might be interested in that quilt, and certainly there will be someone who can advise you on how to clean, care for and store it.
ME TOO!!!!

Some of them, you have to really look close to make sure they are not part of the fabric design! There is some amazing work here!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

well, took her to the expert today...wow...I thought she was going to cry when she saw it...it is just so stunning in person...we went over and over it and still found NEW things at the end of the day. I was offered a VERY handsome price for her, but right now, I am not ready to let her go. SO the lady has my info just in case the day ever comes.

I already knew which fabrics had deteriorated, but she confirmed it. Silks of dress weight back then had so many harsh minerals and dyes in them, that they just dissolved over time. Even exposure to air made them MELT away!

Sure enough, the velvet, courdoroy, taffeta, and a few unknown fabrics are all fine...the silks, not so much!
I can hand sew the seams back together for the sake of keeping the blocks together, but that is ALL!

She is being aired out again this afternoon and then will go into a zip loc in my neighbors deep freeze for a week! OH, she has charcoal bags to go in with her as well to help absorb odors!

Then she will have a covered ROLL and a bag made for her.

Then it is off to KS to my guild up there on the 14th! Then to the OK museum lady who is the textile expert for more photos and documentation.

She is already a traveling girl!

OH, she is NOT a finished piece, we found many places where the thread was left long in the back so she could finish what she was working on!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
here is more info on Simpson and Lewelling.
Whom ever was making this top was politically grounded that is for sure!
Thousands of our foremothers in the 19th century were politically active. They couldn't vote, but they were up on things.

It's a real treasure you have! Congratulations!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Fabulous quilt. What a historical piece of fabric. I agree with DH - it definitely looks like a horsehoe with a riding crop - but like you mentioned, it could also be a needle with thread. You could spend hours looking at this quilt & find something new every time you look at it. What a find !!! Tk you so much for sharing.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:00 PM

Oh what a treasure and she is so lucky to have found you! Thank you for sharing with us. Your lovely Lady could not have found a better custodian.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 PM

Obviously her history is attatched to Kansas and whoever stitiched her did so with many hours of love. She is beautiful and you are blessed to have found each other. Please keep us updated when you find out more about her and her possible connections. I bet the textile expert will be giddy when she sees it.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM

Thank you for sharing these Jacqui! What a treasure! I would love to find something like that.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM

Wonderful find!! Thanks for sharing!