Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Lets see your "first" quilt >

Lets see your "first" quilt

Lets see your "first" quilt

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM

I haven't been quilting very long at all, but here is my first!
It was machine pieced and hand quilted by me...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218817.jpe  
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM

WOW some of these quilts do not look like first...LOL I have so many mistakes on mine, and some of these quilts look like professional quilters done them...

All I can say is wow! great job!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM

I have really enjoyed looking at everyones first quilts. Great job ladies.

I'm going to try to get a camera battery soon and take a photo of my first. Will try to post it later.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 PM

WOW! I am totally floored by some of these first quilts :shock:

Here are my meager offerings. I divided a few fat quarter packs and made 2. I had the packs for a few years before I was brave enough to cut them :oops:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218824.jpe   attachment-218825.jpe  
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
My profile pic (New York Beauty/Karen Stone) was my first quilt. It got me through falling apart over a lung cancer diagnosis/surgery. I was afraid I wasn't going to live long enough to make it and..................... seven quilts later!!!!!
WOW -- a gorgeous first try.

So glad you are here and quilting -- hope all is better with you now.

My first quilt was made in 1971 for DD -- poofy poly batting and flannel. It did not survive the love it got.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Okay, here goes! A friend took me to a quilt show 3 years ago on the 4th of July. I thought this kit looked good for a beginner since there were no seams to match up. I used her tools and she showed me how to use a rotary cutter, ruler, etc. I watched YouTube videos on how to do the binding and how to free motion quilt. (I didn't know it was supposed to be difficult!) There was a block left from each fabric so I made the 2nd quilt. My mom showed me how to do sashing. I showed both of these quilts in a quilt show a month after I bought the kit.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218837.jpe   attachment-218838.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maria C
Wow. This was really fun to look at all your quilts. My very first quilt was one I made under duress. i had a quilting friend who felt sure I would love quilting so she gave me a set of I Spy squares and I made a quilt for my then 8 year old son. I said the entire way through that I didn't think I was ever going to make another quilt. Too fussy and I was too perfectionist. I finished it and then loved it on his bed and he adored it so I then made my second quilt but really my first quilt that I chose to make from the book The Quilt Makers Gift. The friendship star. I chose the pattern and colour shceme so that feels like my first quilt. I tied the I spy quilt as too terrified to do anything else and hand quilted around the friendship star and tied the rest. Don't do much hand stuff now though. So I haven't looked back. Great to see all the work.
It's beautiful!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I can't even remember what my first quilt was! I'm sure it was something for a baby or child, either given away or worn out by one of my (then) babies... and I certainly didn't have a digital camera or computer back then, so no pics... :cry:

Some of the quilts in this thread certainly don't look like firsts! We have some naturally talented people here.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by purple_butterfly
WOW! I am totally floored by some of these first quilts :shock:

Here are my meager offerings. I divided a few fat quarter packs and made 2. I had the packs for a few years before I was brave enough to cut them :oops:
:shock: Had to wait to get brave and then chose a bargello! Good grief girl! Great job on both.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 AM

My first "real" quilt was an easy Thimbleberries pattern that I still really like. I made it for my then teenage son who is now 26. My younger son now uses it so it has had plenty of use and still looks pretty good. I stitched in the ditch and there were lots of bunched up places, but boys don't care!
I had made a couple of trip round the world throws for picnic use before this one that I don't have pictures of- but this is what i count as my first quilt- and still LOVE making them.
This has been a fun thread, it is amazing the variety of skills shown.

Thimbleberries pattern-Sticks and Stones
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218998.jpe