Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Lets see your "first" quilt >

Lets see your "first" quilt

Lets see your "first" quilt

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM

This is my first quilt. It was made early 2006 (like Jan or Feb) for my BFF's baby born in late 2005. I've been hooked every since. It is a simple checkerboard style (4 x 5) that was supposed to be made of squares, but I wasn't thinking and cut rectangles after sewing the 5 strips together. So it was almost square. The backing was the same blue solid in the top. I machine pieced and quilted on the little Kenmore my mom had given me (no walking foot or anything). The fabric is flannel.

QbQuilts 1st Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218354[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218348.jpe  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM

DALLEN,
This is your first quilt??? OMGoodness really??? Well you are a better quilter than I will ever be! :thumbup:

Great job to everyone, as soon as I can I'll post mine.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
My first quilt was a Grandmothers Flower Garden made of out old flannel shirts from all the men in my life. At the time I didn't have a sewing machine and though it would be easy to make. lol.
I have never seen this done in plaids, I like it.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM

My first quilt is purple and blue. I'd post it but I can't find the pic!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM

This is my first quilt made less than a year ago for my DDILove's father. He is a police officer and suffered a severe stroke on the job. I wanted to make him something to let him know that we were thinking of him and to encourage him during his long months of rehab that I knew were before him.

Found out he was an avid Texas Tech. fan and so I ordered the Tech fabric online. Then took it to the LQS and told the woman helping me that I was there to get complementary fabric and a pattern. One small hitch...I could barely sew a straight seam and knew NOTHING about quilting! Instead of wondering why on earth would I try something so ambitious...she helped me find the right pattern and material. Also gave me TONS of help and encouragement so that I could go home and give it a try. Three and a half weeks later...I had a quilt! And...was hooked for life! ;-)

My first quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218355[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218349.jpe  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM

My first real quilt was made in 1992. Got signatures while at a family reunion and put them into this quilt The center block was signed by my Grandmother who was 97 years young at the time.

The material with her block was from one of her aprons. This was also my first time with hand quilting.

Family quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218356[/ATTACH]

center block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218350.jpe   attachment-218351.jpe  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Wow I have to find the camera and take a picture. This is the neatest post subject. I'll be back
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Awesome quilts all! My first quilt was made for a co-worker who was pregnant - I think it was her fourth! Anyway, she is a sweetheart and I had just gotten my first embroidery machine so decided I would make a quilt with embroidery I created from scratch! Well, I learned a LOT about how much I didn't know about digitizing and that quilting isn't really like garment sewing all that much! However, being a stubborn Taurus, I perservered and she was thrilled! Talked to her last year and she said it is still intact, but knowing now that I broke every law in the quilt police manual, I wonder if she was just being nice! All I have is this picture, so here it was and I was so proud!!!

Emma's Quilt 2001
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218369[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218363.jpe  
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM

I made this quilt over 20 yrs. ago & used it until last year when it was getting just too threadbare. The center was still good so I recycled it as batting for a lap quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218368.jpe  
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by karenm36
This is my first quilt made less than a year ago for my DDILove's father. He is a police officer and suffered a severe stroke on the job. I wanted to make him something to let him know that we were thinking of him and to encourage him during his long months of rehab that I knew were before him.

Found out he was an avid Texas Tech. fan and so I ordered the Tech fabric online. Then took it to the LQS and told the woman helping me that I was there to get complementary fabric and a pattern. One small hitch...I could barely sew a straight seam and knew NOTHING about quilting! Instead of wondering why on earth would I try something so ambitious...she helped me find the right pattern and material. Also gave me TONS of help and encouragement so that I could go home and give it a try. Three and a half weeks later...I had a quilt! And...was hooked for life! ;-)
What a wonderful story. I sure it gave him much pleasure.