Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Local Fabric Shop in Poland >

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM

you could probably get it shipped as a gift to avoid import fees, no?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by bluekrissyspikes
you could probably get it shipped as a gift to avoid import fees, no?
Yes, if someone sent something as a gift, they probably would not charge import fees. However, most regular stores won't do that. Ebay sellers might. Most stores will put in an invoice. We've had friends buy a kid's coat for a good price from Penney's in the states, had it sent and were charge 100% customs on it. No longer a good deal.

But with the cost of shipping regular air mail, it is really expensive (a small box costs $50--and not even that heavy. A heavy box? Forget it.

I frankly don't do not want to order special fabrics and have them sent here. Postage is expensive. People complain about postage in the USA...but it is quite cheap compared to international postage.

MODA is also about fashion here in Poland as well. "modna" is an adjective meaning fashionable. MODA is also "fashion" or "style" here.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I was wondering how you got interested in quilting since it isn't popular there??
My husband's grandparents came from Poland :)
Well, I told some churches that they could send me all their extra unused, partially finished craft supplies that their ladies' groups had and I would distribute the supplies to ladies in this part of the world who liked to do crafts (you know...a guilt reliever...people could get rid of their UFOs and feel like they were helping at the same time). So, I was given boxes of stuff. I went through it and gave a lot away to ladies from Latvia, Belarus and here in Poland.

However, included was some pretty ugly fabric. I had read that no fabric is ugly if you cut it into small enough pieces. That started my journey.

That fabric was used a long time ago and given away as quilts.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 AM

Perhaps you should open a shop just for quilters - you would do very well because of the novelty. My relatives came from Lodz - so I suppose it is fairly similar all over?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by tutty
I'm happy to have a computer to order special fabric from if I can't find in store ! Can you do this as well ? Or is it absurdly expensive to do that ?
Don't know if our situation is comparable to Poland. I ordered an item for $8.99 and the shipping was $20.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 AM

Thank you for sharing this! This is probably one of the most interesting threads I have read. I just love seeing how people around the world live and what they have for fabric options. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the pictures - this group is great because it is so nice that altho we all live so far apart, our hobby brings us so close together.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM

Crinkly fabric could be "SEERSUCKER".
Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 AM

thank you for sharing -- so interesting to see different parts of the world (and even US)
Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
It's not a local quilt shop. It's a local fabric shop. Most people here have never heard of quilting.

I was so sad to return to the states and find the fabric from walmart disappearing...
How is it you chose living in Poland? I have heard there is a large community of expatriate Americans living there. From what I hear it is a welcoming, warm, less-expensive and beautiful place to live. What else can you tell us about your daily routine and your quilting habits. For instance, is there a quilting community in your town? Are other quilting "necessaries" available locally or do you get them on-line?