Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Looking for Advice/Opinions... >

Looking for Advice/Opinions...

Looking for Advice/Opinions...

Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Wow! It looks beautiful. I want to make a diamond pattern. I've heard the pieces stretch due to the bias cut. I plan to use lots of starch.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Looks great to me, continue on.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
I love purple and green together! You have a light green and a dark green --- try to throw in a few medium greens. Both of the purples are on the dark end --- adding a few mediums and a light purple will keep the quilt from looking "heavy" or "flat". Does that make sense? Try to avoid checks, stripes, or anything else that has a directional pattern---- the small florals and wavy patterns are a good choice. :D

Do you have a design board to work on? They really help a lot when you are making color choices on a pattern like this one.
Thanks for the advice on colors, I think you're right. I'm running out of greens and purples though so it's off to bolster up my stash in those colors again. ;)

I don't have a design board (not really sure what that is?), but that would probably be helpful.

Thanks to all for your encouraging comments. :D
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
...On my latest quilt project.

I'm trying to piece together a green and purple quilt for my little sister. I fell in love with the Roman Holiday pattern, and decided to try doing diamonds. It sure will be interesting.

Right now I'm still picking out fabrics from my stash and cutting the diamonds out.

I just needed your opinion before I get too far into this about whether or not these colors/patterns match? I took two pics - one from far back (but doesn't show the true color very well) and one closer up that shows the true color better, but is a little fuzzy. I'm not always good at matching stuff, and this probably isn't exactly how I'll lay out the pieces, but I thought I'd ask your opinions and/or advice. Thanks in advance!

[IMG]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...arahsQuilt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...rahsQuilt2.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, I love it and if you can't find anyone that loves it (and you want to donate it) those are my DGD's favorite colors and I am sure she would love it also. Absolutely stunning just the way you have it.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Here's an updated photo of the fabrics I've got cut out. That one with the funny pattern in the middle-ish area keeps bugging me. I think I'm going to take it out. Do you think the more patterns I add the more chaotic it gets?

[IMG]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/100_1220.jpg[/IMG]

Also, do you think I should use a regular 1/4" seam or a scant 1/4" seam?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

the colors look great. Hope to see the finished product too.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM

I think it looks good. But then anything with purple usually looks good to me. I like how you have it arranged now.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 PM

I agree I think the one in the middle takes away from the rest. I don't think I would add any more patterns, the ones you have now really look good together. Just my opinion for what it's worth. You can make your own design board. Get a very large piece of flannel, white works well, and pin, glue or staple it onto a piece of foam board about l/2" thick (foam board is used in insulating for houses etc.) Lowes or Home Depot carries it. If you don't want to use the foam board, just pinor attach the flannel to a wall or the back of a door or something solid and stiff. Flannel works best because other fabric will stick to it and not fall off, and you can just move the pattern pieces around until you find the exact design you want, and take a little off at a time, to sew. You might want to take a photo of the final design you decide on in case some of the pieces get moved accidently.Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 PM

I would take the middle print out. It distracts from the rest....everything else looks good.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Alexis, what size are you diamonds, I really like the way they work together. Be sure and keep us posted on the progress.