Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Lucked out at Goodwill today... >

Lucked out at Goodwill today...

Lucked out at Goodwill today...

Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM

I was a GW yesterday also. I want to make a quilt out of velvet, velveteen, velour . I got a ton of the brightest, prettiest colors. I was so excited. All was in good shape, old robes ,pant suits, shirts. I bet I have enough to make more than one.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 AM

For some reason, I donate to our Good Will, but when I go in and look around, I think it`s too much for the items. Last time I saw hand towels were $1.99, they were small and washed out, also 1 pint jar that looked far from new for .99. This store is big and everything is crammed together. Don`t think poor people can afford their cloths either. When the best part of the life on an item is gone, the price should be lower. Also they never have any material, you know they must get some in, where does it go?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Wow, you are so lucky! I look at the bargains you guys get in the States and it makes me jelous. Just this morning I ordered 13 yards of fabric from fabric.com and the total came to $76. U.S. with shipping and I think that's a great deal. Standard price of a metre of fabric at Fabricland here is $10. There are sales, of course, but they don't have the variety that your U.S. online sites have. Wal-Mart here used to sell fabric but stopped several years ago. We don't have Joanne's, but we do have Michaels, although they don't sell fabric. (I'm also a scrapbooker, so I am totally into their one item at 40% or 50% off. I'm in there every week practically.)

I figured that today I spent $5.80 per yard and for me, that's a good price. I read another post here recently where an American was about to place an online order but stopped when she realized there would be a shipping charge of $10. I wish! Fabric.com gives you free shipping in the U.S. for an order of $40 or more. That's awesome!

We do have lots of quilting stores but their fabric is very expensive - $15/metre and up (mind you, they have much more choice).
Old 10-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
For some reason, I donate to our Good Will, but when I go in and look around, I think it`s too much for the items. Last time I saw hand towels were $1.99, they were small and washed out, also 1 pint jar that looked far from new for .99. This store is big and everything is crammed together. Don`t think poor people can afford their cloths either. When the best part of the life on an item is gone, the price should be lower. Also they never have any material, you know they must get some in, where does it go?
If their items are selling it means people are buying at those prices. Or, do they have another store for the things that do not sell? Maybe ask about that? If things hang around here beyond a certain point they move it to their "discount store".

I see Mercedes and Jaguars in the Goodwill parking lot here ... but, I am assuming they are antiquing.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 AM

Great find. Our Goodwill does not have fabric.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by sarahsews
$22.00 for these piles, including a crib sized cotton batting after applying their coupon. I have a lot of overcasting & laundry ahead of me!

It surprises me how many people do not know about Goodwill's coupons...$5.00 off a $25.00 purchase, and $15. off a $60. purchase. Sign up online and get their monthly newsletter with the coupons. Print several of them out, and use one every time you go! I mean, you know how easy it is to spend $25.00! ;-)
What a good deal! Didn't know about the coupons, thanks for the information. However, no matter how often I go, I never seem to find anything more than maybe a yard of fabric hanging on a hangar.... :cry: I go to about 4 different Goodwill stores in my area! I'm glad you scored!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Lucky Lady. :)
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 AM

They do not ever sell fabric here at the Goodwill. Nor do they have a color of the day or week or use coupons. They do not have a senior day or discount. We travel all over the country and no-one is like our Goodwill. Thank heavens !!

Congratulations on your haul.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
They do not ever sell fabric here at the Goodwill. Nor do they have a color of the day or week or use coupons. They do not have a senior day or discount. We travel all over the country and no-one is like our Goodwill. Thank heavens !!

Congratulations on your haul.
We DO have senior days and every second Saturday they have 50% off in the whole store....of course we have about 6 Goodwills in a nearby circumference! And more even a little further away.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

You did luck out - what a great group of fabrics. Have fun with them. I did not know about their coupons, but I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info.