Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysian? busy Batiks

When traveling I tend to buy fabrics....and have a ton of very busy sarong/type batiks from Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. I have seen individual prints made into table napkins (beaded) - this fabric BEGS for beading!, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there with to do with all these individual printed 1-2 yard pieces. Is there a quilt I can make that would do these justice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! Can't think of a quilt pattern right off but your fabrics are beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    I love them too, yes, you can box them up and send them to me :lol:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything, maybe a bento box?

Blog Entries
    Shadowbox or DP9 both can use large pieces of fabric. Those are gorgeous fabrics!

*drool*

So beautiful ... and so many possiblities

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dar

I think the last two would make great Stack & Whack or OBW if there is enough repeats. You can do 5 bladed fans or 4 section triangle squares in stack and whacks.

Junior Member Heartwarming quilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kateyb
    I think the last two would make great Stack & Whack or OBW if there is enough repeats. You can do 5 bladed fans or 4 section triangle squares in stack and whacks.
    I agree about the OBW or even better just mail them to me would be even better.

It would make beautiful stained glass quilts or small one block wonder wall hangings or table runners.

So so pretty! I agree, I think these paired with some sharp solids would make an awesome Bento Box!! :)

Cheers!
    Rachel

From the looks of those beautiful fabrics, I just just pick one fabric and match some solids to it. Each individual fabric can easily stand alone. I can't begin to tell you how much I love looking and admiring your prints.

No matter what you would make it will look gorgeous. Maybe drunkard's patch with one side kona snow white and the other the batik print? I think many of the modern paterns that have white in the piecing or even 1930 patterns with white might work really well. Also patterns that work for Kaffe prints might work for these.

There was a pattern called Japanese Lanterns and darned if I can find it for you. It was posted in the past few months and it was stunning and easier than some others. I will keep looking for you.

The closest to it that I see is a posting from Zeke in July 2009. (go to search and type Chinese Lantern). The pattern that I saw used these same lanterns but in vivid colors like you have and each strip was close together and had deep red batik type sashing between rows.

A few of these patterns would look neat, how about the Sidelines or BQ one on this link?
    http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/quiltpatterns.asp

I think they'd look fabulous in sashed tumblers! White or chocolate brown would look great for the sashing. I've had this pattern on my to-do list for awhile, here's a link to the tutorial: http://lynbrown.com/?p=680
    Whatever you do, be sure to post pix, those fabrics are beautiful!

Making a four patch posey would make a nice quilt or table setting.

wow those are gorgeous

Wow! That is a cool link with some great patterns! I think the BQ looks do-able, using white as the background. Everyone has gotten me excited to try one of these fabric highlight patterns now as the material is just folded away in a rubbermaid for 2 years now. (going back to the same area for more this fall so need to make room and see what I can create to justify buying MORE MORE MORE!!)

Quote Originally Posted by grendelskin
    I think they'd look fabulous in sashed tumblers! White or chocolate brown would look great for the sashing. I've had this pattern on my to-do list for awhile, here's a link to the tutorial: http://lynbrown.com/?p=680
    Whatever you do, be sure to post pix, those fabrics are beautiful!
    Great pattern. I have to keep that in mind for my Hawaiian, Australian and African prints.

I like the Bento Box pattern. I had never seen that before. The Chinese Lantern that I found online looks like meticulous paper piecing (which could be fun, but alot of time). I have always loved the Montana Cartwheel but hadn't considered these fabrics for it....the MapleIsland Quilts link was very interesting and I have bookmarked that as a keeper! If I can ever post enough on here to become a regular and advertise in the buy and sell, perhaps I'll pick more of these Malaysian prints and sell them on this board. I was thinking I can wrap the celadon dishes I love to buy in fabric to protect for breakage and just sell those busy batiks when I return! This will be the second year in a row I have to miss IQF - Houston due to this trip. :cry:

The tumbler pattern is adorable and once I looked beyond the 30's fabrics, I can see how it would work for the large variety of Malaysian style batiks I have - almost giving it a tribal look. I will certainly post once I consider the quilts! I have enough to try several of the ideas posted on this link due to all you wonderful quilters!

Here is another one. I think very up to date type of pattern and hip. LOL This might work well with the scraps from all the different batiks.

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/p/dot-party.html

You have so much fabric you can probably make several beautiful quilts.

You might also take a peek at some of her other patterns.

cjr
    Fabrics are gorgous!! My first thought is to showcasse these prints. I would do something with a large area of above fabrics, bordered in one or two solids. Block within a block, large cathedral windows. Another thought make 8"blocks set on point with solid on outside. You will probably only use 2-5 per quilt.

The rest you can send to me! haha

cjr
    snowball quilt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast